• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curviceps question, love is in the air?

Scratchthecat

Hi all, this is my maiden post so be gentle.

I have 4 curviceps in my 4ft tank, i am 99% sure i have two males and two females, although they showed no interest in pairing up.
i recently treated for ich and the higher temperature (31) seemed to really bring them to life, coloured up beautifully and a m and f had a few fights around the tank, tore fins and generally messed each other up before pairing up peacefully and were joined at the hip, guarding every inch of the tank together. Once the treatment was completed and i lowered the temp (26-27) they lost interest in each other completely.

Is this normal behavior? I have increased the temp to 28-29 and they are colouring up again and seem happier (if not a bit more aggressive with each other) and the males have just started head standing and showing off. Is this a good temperature long term? Other tank mates are pair of rams, corys, otos and siamese algae eaters and school of lemon tetras.

Tank is a 40g long, well established, moderately to heavily planted, all parameters normal (am 0, n-ite 0, n-ate 10) ph is low 6.5 but stable.

Robi

Sounds good,

You needed to treat ich and you did a good job. I breed Laetacara curviceps and dorsigera constantly and have not observed similar reaction to change in the temperature, although I read about it on the internet. From your description, the couple that paired off could have laid eggs, which did not hatch because malachite green or other ich medications are toxic to the fry. I see on your profile picture one of them, it looks like you have juveniles. Instead of manipulating the water temp, which elevates their metabolism and shortens their life span, give them some time, feed them with live or frozen food, grow them a little bit larger and in weeks to months they will start paring off on their own and get a brood color (dark coloration of both the male and female), regardless of the water temperature and they will start laying eggs on flat surfaces (stones) even in your community tanks. At this point if you are interested in keeping the fry I suggest you separate the pair in a smaller 10-20 gallon tank. Both parents are participating in guarding the eggs and bringing up the fry (leave papa and mama both in). The fry is usually tiny in the beginning, but feed well on usual fry starter food or baby brine shrimp. Although I am an Apisto guy, Laetacara curviceps is a very social and pretty species, I adore them. Patience my friend, you are on the right track, if they started pairing up they will again!

One question, did you measure you water hardness (TDS or GH)? The reason I am asking is because if your water is too soft (GH less than 10) the medication could have increased the water hardness and they responded to the temp. and the hardness elevation as well. They prefer moderate to hard water (GH of 12 - 16 or TDS of 250 - 300). The rest of your water parameters look great. Good luck!

Robi

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….