• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii Opal Female?

Jeffk

5 Year Member
Looking for a positive ID. I bought this fish a little over 9 months ago (not sure how old it was at that point, but it was a little over an inch when I got it) as an Apisto Borellii opal unsexed juvenile. It's now about 1.75 inches. It has never been kept with any other apistos so I can't comment on any behavior with a male or female. Has always been extremely peaceful with panda cories, peacock gudgeons, and endlers. Can anyone tell me for certain if this is indeed an A. Borellii female?
DSCN0175.jpg
DSCN0292.jpg
DSCN0293.jpg
DSCN0296.jpg
DSCN0298.jpg

Jeffk

5 Year Member
Let me be clear with my question(s):
1) Does this look to be A. Borellii?
2) Is it a female?

Thanks!
Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Strange looking fish. It kind of looks like A. borellii, but not exactly typical. If it is A. borellii, which it probably is, I would expect a male to have a much higher dorsal fin. Therefore my guess is that it's an older female. Is this a wild or domestic-bred fish?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….