• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from Hong Kong

zerojoe0999

Greetings everyone,

My name is Joe.
Been in the hobby for about 6-7 years.
Mainly I keep and breed inverts. (Crystal reds; Black king kong; Ruby reds...etc)
and very into scaping planted tanks.

However, lately apistogramma has really caught my attention.

so starting a new page in my hobby!
I know very little about apistogramma and am really looking forward to learning a lot from all the professional apistogramma hobbyist out there!

Thank you

JW

zerojoe0999

Here are some photo of my pair of apistogramma "Black chin" (they were sold under such name).
However, I have read somewhere on the internet that these fish are a sub-species of Cacatuoides (is this true, can someone explain/clarify this?).

They are currently housed in a 10 gallon planted tanks with 7 tetras as tank mates. I am feeding them blood worms every other day and small amout of try food everyday (Hopefully the tetras can teach them to eat dry food).

Below is a photo of a possible female.

And this is the other guy. He, I am pretty sure is a male

I have a general question:

1) why do their color pattern on their body always changes? and what does it mean for each color pattern.
2) currently, the male is chasing the possible female most of the time. is this normal?

thank you

zerojoe0999

Just one caution...inverts and apistos don't mix...unless of course you like pampering your fish with lobsters for dinner.

Lol! Thank you for the caution, but I have moved on from inverts, now I only house fish as I only have one tank running at the moment.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The images aren't showing. Apistogramma "Black-chin" or "Schwarzkinn" is a distinct species, but it is from the A. cacatuoides lineage.

It always used to be sold in the UK as "Apistogramma juruensis", which is another different species.

"Black-chin" is now scientifically described (in 2012) as Apistogramma allpahuayo.

Have a look at <"Apistogramma allpahuayo biotope">.

cheers Darrel

zerojoe0999

Hi all,
The images aren't showing. Apistogramma "Black-chin" or "Schwarzkinn" is a distinct species, but it is from the A. cacatuoides lineage.

It always used to be sold in the UK as "Apistogramma juruensis", which is another different species.

"Black-chin" is now scientifically described (in 2012) as Apistogramma allpahuayo.

Have a look at <"Apistogramma allpahuayo biotope">.

cheers Darrel

Hello Darrel!

thank you for the link and explanation.

About to photo, here is a workable link
IMG_3773_zpsdl5xtr34.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Below is what I believe to be a female after I read some threads on the forum. (i picked it based on the black ventral fins and non extended dorsal fin)
IMG_3773_zpsdl5xtr34.jpg

Here, we have a male. for sure.
image1%201_zps2jqor8ot.jpg

I have a general question:

1) why do their color pattern on their body always changes? and what does it mean for each color pattern.
2) currently, the male is chasing the possible female most of the time. is this normal?

cheers
JW

zerojoe0999

Happen to be in Hong Kong till Thursday on route to Tokyo. Where's the best place here for apistos?

There are two main stores that sells Apistogramma. Sometimes you are able to find rare apisto. But their names are all in chinese, and in these stores, they all look similar as they do not display a lot of color.
Look for SHADOW AQUARIUM (you may check them out on FB as well). they are a up stairs store.
And there is another store just opposite Shadow Aquarium, called, Green Concept (this one is on the ground floor).

happy hunting!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….