• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to raise macmasteri fry

macmasteri

hi

I own a couple Mac.
They have about 50 youngsters of 15 days old.
Several times daily i give them artemia for food.

What can I give them besides artemia?
They would accept dry food, frozen or someting else?

Thanks

regani

5 Year Member
Baby brine shrimp or micro worms are easy to keep live foods that work well for apisto fry. I use a syringe to squirt them right to where the fry are so that they always get a good feed.
After they are 2-3 weeks old I start mixing some powdered flake food together with the live food and feed that to get them used to dried foods. After they are on that for a bit they easily switch to flake.
I still keep feeding some live food most days to my apistos on top of a staple of flake or micro pellet

macmasteri

Thanks Regani for the reply

From the first day after free swimming until now day 16 the fry have been eating BBS a coupel of times daily.
So i'll try to mix some powdered flake foot to the BBS

Someone has an idea whate kind of flakes?

Can I use very fine BBS replacement or someting else?

macmasteri

DSCN0485.JPG
DSCN0489.JPG

macmasteri

Here is a piq of the fry 16 days old
I don't fine that they grow fast, is that normal?
DSCN0499.JPG

An here is the father
DSCN0516.JPG
The mother don't allow him to go to close to the fry but they are in the same aquarium.

macmasteri

The fry are now 37 days after free swimming. They grow slowy in my opinion. Or is that normal?
They eat a lot of BBS. And are very dificult to accept some dry food! now they start to eat some little Daphnia and mosquito larvae.

Anyone sugestions to improve growth?

macmasteri

Lower the population density (split among multiple tanks) and/or increase the water changes.
thx Mike,

I don t understand wy water changes are so important in order to improve the growth? (Sorry im a newbee with fish and needs so mutch to learn)
I got the same sugestion on a Dutch forum and since 10 days i change more. 10% every 2 days (ll trey more changes form now on).
My thank is 144l bruto with a lot of plants (moss, floating, stem, crypto and echino). 1year old with a good filtration 500l/h and not so mutch fish, 14 Hyphessobrycon amandae, 10 otocinclus, 14 cory pygmaeus and a koppel Macmasteris with +/-50 fry.

Will that be enough?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Fish in Nature live in the world's largest aquarium. Not only that, the water in streams is continually being changed. In an small body of water like your aquarium, pollutants build up and some of these inhibit growth.

macmasteri

Fish in Nature live in the world's largest aquarium. Not only that, the water in streams is continually being changed. In an small body of water like your aquarium, pollutants build up and some of these inhibit growth.
thx for the tip

Since a week I do a daily water exchange of 10 to 15%.
And I see some more growth. But they also begin to eat some more mosquito larvae and daphnea (funny to see how they suck up mosquito larvaes).
Dry food they accept difficult. Just a little freeze-dried tubiflex.

I still think they grow slowly
For comparison, some piqs i see on facebook off A. Borelli and A. cacatuoides.

But still 50 fry with mam and dad in the comunity tank.

Or grow the macmasteri so slow?

macmasteri

UPDATE day 50 after freeswimming

There are still manny fry +/-50 almost no or no lost after hatching

DSCN0967.JPG

feeding on freez dry tubiflex. I still give a lot off BBS, they acceped almost no dry food

DSCN0963.JPG

Here you see the grow. Not so mutch i think for 50 days?

DSCN0952.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
They look fine (I can only see the uppermost photo). Are they <"Hydra"> on the glass? If they are it would be worth treating them.

If you feed a lot of live food you are very likely to get them.

cheers Darrel

macmasteri

Hi all,
They look fine (I can only see the uppermost photo). Are they <"Hydra"> on the glass? If they are it would be worth treating them.

If you feed a lot of live food you are very likely to get them.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel,

'You hit the nail on the head' (don't know if i can use this expression in English). But you are right, the tings on my glass are like the Hydra for the pics of the other threid. And the Hydra shows up at the place where i give the fry there live food. Sometimes the Hydra even takes a Daphnia on hold it.

I go to read more off it tonight, but wen you have sugestions i'm happy to hear it.

So many thanks Darrel!!!!!! for u proper analysis. It's nice that you seen it. I thougt that it were some kind of algae and woud ask it at a planted tank forum. But i thinks its here i gona get some good info of the Hydra.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….