• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pictures of A. sp. abacaxis & winklefleck

ErtyJr

Greetings all, I just wanted to share a few pictures of my wild pairs of Apistogramma sp. abacaxis & winklefleck. Have gotten spawns from both, and I keep very detailed logs, so if you have any questions on these two species feel free to ask. Hope you enjoy!

P.S. Yes the female abacaxis did lay eggs on a tank divider.
IMG_20150507_064135.jpg
IMG_20150506_165202.jpg
IMG_20150506_165115.jpg
IMG_20150425_114059.jpg
20150417_200319.jpg
20150407_155728.jpg
IMG_20150507_064135.jpg
IMG_20150506_165202.jpg

Exasperatus2002

5 Year Member
Certainly, what would you like to know about them? I've had quite a few spawns from em now.
I am new to Apisto's. How does their care differ from more common species like cacatuoides? Special consideration for tank mates? In a 55, would it be possible to keep multiple pairs?

ErtyJr

I am new to Apisto's. How does their care differ from more common species like cacatuoides? Special consideration for tank mates? In a 55, would it be possible to keep multiple pairs?

These apistos like a much lower pH as well as a low TDS / GH / KH. Cacatuoides is one of the more versatile species in that it is found in the wild in a wide range of pH and TDS values. Abacaxis however have a much more narrow range as there is only 1 collection location to my knowledge, which is lake glemende. This lake can have a pH as low 3 and a temp which can rise very high as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
FYI A. sp. Abacaxis is also reported from the Rio Marimari, not far from the original collection area. This is where most of the specimens are now collected. They have a slightly different caudal pattern.

ErtyJr

FYI A. sp. Abacaxis is also reported from the Rio Marimari, not far from the original collection area. This is where most of the specimens are now collected. They have a slightly different caudal pattern.

Thank you Mike! I did not know that. Is that where the A. cf. abacaxis is collected? I've seen a few recently popping up as cf.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Is that where the A. cf. abacaxis is collected? I've seen a few recently popping up as cf.

Yes, A. cf. abacaxis is the Marimari population with a slightly different caudal pattern than the original form from Lago Glemende. On my species list it is labeled "A. cf. abacaxis (Marimari)".

ErtyJr

Yes, A. cf. abacaxis is the Marimari population with a slightly different caudal pattern than the original form from Lago Glemende. On my species list it is labeled "A. cf. abacaxis (Marimari)".

Thank you for the info Mike, I've been wondering about where they came from. I am hoping to get ahold of some as I do enjoy the pattern they have in their caudal fin.

ErtyJr

Hey Mike, what is your take on the new abacaxis that have come into aquatic clarity with the collection location São Gabriel?

Also I'd like to take a moment to thank you for the 2 wonderful articles you have written that are posted on tom c's site. They have been a tremendous help for me in learning how to identify apistos. I can't even begin to fathom how difficult it must have been for people before these articles were written. I just wanted you to know that all the effort you put into writing these has went to good use, and it is greatly appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
ErtyJr, I didn't see these fish on Jeff's site. Do you have a URL for photos? The São Gabriel location is strange, if it means they were shipped from the export stations in São Gabriel da Cachoeira on the upper Rio Negro. The real Abacaxis forms are only known from the lower Rio Madeira area.

Thank you for your comments on my articles on TomC's site. These have been an on-going project of mine for 30+ years - and always seem to need at least minor changes from time to time. I have to give credit to Ingo Koslowski and his first book "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden" as the foundation for my own work.

ErtyJr

ErtyJr, I didn't see these fish on Jeff's site. Do you have a URL for photos? The São Gabriel location is strange, if it means they were shipped from the export stations in São Gabriel da Cachoeira on the upper Rio Negro. The real Abacaxis forms are only known from the lower Rio Madeira area.

Thank you for your comments on my articles on TomC's site. These have been an on-going project of mine for 30+ years - and always seem to need at least minor changes from time to time. I have to give credit to Ingo Koslowski and his first book "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden" as the foundation for my own work.
I'll have to work on getting some photos for you mike. I don't actually have any of the fish, but I have a friend who has some. To my untrained eye they look very much like the variant that comes from Lago Glemende and I wrongly assumed they were which got me and Jeff into a little arguement lol. Another interesting thing is they are also covered in the black markings as mine are.

Edit - I actually just got the photos and I guess I remembered wrong. They mostly look like A. cf. And not sp. However there are a few questionable ones. Do you have an email I can contact you at Mike to send these pictures?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….