• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food

BigDeady

Hello all,
I'm just getting into the breeding side of the hobby and I'm about to get my first pair of apisto. I would like to feed them a mix of live and dried food. What kind of foods should I cultivate, and how would I cultivate them. I currently live with my parents so I wouldn't be able to cultivate things that smell bad. Thoughts?

gerald

5 Year Member
If you have a place outside where you can keep a couple of plastic storage bins, you can grow various plankton (cyclops, daphnia, moina, moquitoes).
Indoors, grindal-worms are good for culturing (or white worms if you have a cool basement). They have a slight yeast smell, like bread dough, not unpleasant. Blackworms are another excellent live food, and dont smell (unless they die) but most people just buy these as needed rather than growing a culture. If you have a well and can provide a flow-through system, then culturing blackworms might work.

BigDeady

I am located in Texas so the summers get extremely hot, would that affect cultivating things outside?

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
If you have a place outside where you can keep a couple of plastic storage bins, you can grow various plankton (cyclops, daphnia, moina, moquitoes).
Indoors, grindal-worms are good for culturing (or white worms if you have a cool basement). They have a slight yeast smell, like bread dough, not unpleasant. Blackworms are another excellent live food, and dont smell (unless they die) but most people just buy these as needed rather than growing a culture. If you have a well and can provide a flow-through system, then culturing blackworms might work.

If you can, growing black worms is great to gut load them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….