• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many A.Hongsloi

AmirA

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a Juwel Lido 120 tank with bottom size 60 x 40 cm. The tank is planted and I also have 3 caves there. As tankmates for my apistos, I will have 5 N.Marginatus. I'm planning to get some A.Hongsloi but I don't know how many. I thought you guys might have some suggestion. 1 male + 3 females, is that a good idea? Better with 2 males + 3 females? Any other combination? :)
20150408_185721.jpg

Last edited:

Mol_PMB

I've got a Lido 120L too - it's a nice tank and your scape looks great and very natural.
The downside is that for its volume, the floor area is small. I would say there isn't room for more than one Apisto territory. So only one male in my opinion.
Having said that, I keep Dicrossus filamentosus in mine, and have had up to 5 males in there. At the moment the little female is boss of the tank anyway, as she guards her babies.

As an aside, have you considered some Farlowellas as tankmates? Your scape is great for them and mine breed in my Lido too.

AmirA

5 Year Member
Thanks for your answer :)
Then I'll probably go for 1 male + 2 or 3 females.

As for Farlowellas, I think I'll keep things simple in this tank. But as always, I tend to get bored after a while and often I need to change things. I will have them in mind ;)

Oh, a little bit more information about the tank. I use only RO water plus some salts. Get a pH of about 6.5 and a conductivity of 150 uS/cm. Every now and then I make my own extract consisting of peat granules, catappa leaves and rooibos tea.

Mol_PMB

That water sounds good for your fish :) My Lido is currently running with pH less than 5 and KH effectively zero.

AmirA

5 Year Member
One thing that I'm a bit worried about is fertilizer. Currently I'm using Tropica Specialized Fertilizer and my N.Marginatus doesn't seem to be bothered. I don't really know how sensitive A.Hongsloi are to fertilizers.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
One thing that I'm a bit worried about is fertilizer. Currently I'm using Tropica Specialized Fertilizer and my N.Marginatus doesn't seem to be bothered. I don't really know how sensitive A.Hongsloi are to fertilizers.
It should be all right, just monitor the conductivity, ~150microS is still quite low.

I keep planted tanks, but rather than adding fertilizer regularly I add only when the health of the floating plants declines. I've called it the <"Duckweed Index">.

There is nothing wrong with them, and they offer ease of use etc. but proprietary fertilizers (Tropica etc) are an expensive way of purchasing fertilizers, you can find much cheaper options if you buy dry salts. I don't know where you are in the world, but in the UK there are sellers like <"APF">.

cheers Darrel

AmirA

5 Year Member
Good idea to add fertilizers only when the health of the plants decline :). Thanks Darrel!

chris1805

5 Year Member
I got a lido 120 as well, i would go for 1 male + 2 females, but make sure you purchase them at the same time otherwise you get a lot of aggression in the tank.

AmirA

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I did buy 1 male and 2 females recently, at the same time. They seem to get along quit good :)

AmirA

5 Year Member
They are very hard to get on picture as they hide most of the time haha.
But I think I'm having my first problem. One of the females are bullied by the other. Is it wiser to just let it be, or should I get another female. I have 2 females now.

AmirA

5 Year Member
The other female is harder to take pictures of since she is hiding. She is getting bullied alot. I can't see if she is eating anything. Should I move her to another tank or is it better to buy an extra female?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the male and the dominant female get along very good.

Last edited:

chris1805

5 Year Member
definitely don't add another female. Try to create more visual boundaries and more territoriums, if that does not help than you should move her to another tank and let them be in your lido as a pair.

AmirA

5 Year Member
The dominant female are more yellow than normal. She spends much more time in "her cave" than she use to. I hope she is protecting something in there :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….