• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Internal Parasites?

skoram

Just noticed this white stringy feces from my male erythrura:

20150416_221042.jpg
20150416_221057.jpg
20150416_221101.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Not necessarily parasites - it could just be something he ate that wasn't digestible, like a hard-shelled bug. If he acts healthy otherwise and is eating well, then it's probably just some mucus passing through the intestines. Watch out for bloating, appetite loss, or rapid breathing that might indicate a real problem.

skoram

thank you for your advice Gerald. he seems very "normal" so far - swimming well, flaring at the mirror and sifting through the sand as he normally does, except for one oddity. i notice that he seems to have lost his interest in bloodworms. I don't know if there is any correlation between this and his stringy fecal matter.

gerald

5 Year Member
Live or frozen bloodworms? If frozen (or freeze-dried), maybe they were partly spoiled before freezing, which might cause both the intestinal mucus and reluctance to eat more of them.

skoram

they were frozen bloodworms - I would say you were definitely right if not for the fact that he pooping out the same white stringy feces as I type this, and I have not put any bloodworms in his tank for several days ... other than that, he seems to be the model of perfect health ...

I have another male erythrura but he is my favorite (and shown in my avatar) so I'd like to take any precaution I can to avoid losing him.

skoram

It just occurred to me that he is eating a lot of banana worms these days as that is primarily what I have been feeding the fry in his tank - could that be a potential cause?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….