• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus - sexing and advice?

Mol_PMB

Of the 30-odd twiglets that hatched, only one survived more than 2 days, but the survivor is now a week old and still going strong. Here is Twiglet, with Dad and its future siblings that were laid last night ;)
The twig cats are doing better than the Dicrossus - none of their eggs have survived to hatch yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415223298.816320.jpg

rr16

5 Year Member
At this size they are still juveniles that show no sexual differences. Right now you have 2 options: 1) wait a couple of months to see if any secondary sexual characteristics appear; 2) euthanize, dissect, and examine for ovaries or testes. I know what I'd do. (Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself!);)
I just stumbled upon this! Fantastic answer Mike! I like your sense of humour!

Mol_PMB

My scalpel was blunt so I went for option 1 :)
The solitary female has now laid eggs at least 4 times, the latest batch of eggs survived nearly 3 days before being eaten.
How long should they take to hatch?

Swez

5 Year Member
i know this thread is a bit old. but Very informative and great pictures ... whats the current situtation...any luck breeding them ?

Mol_PMB

i know this thread is a bit old. but Very informative and great pictures ... whats the current situtation...any luck breeding them ?

The Dicrossus keep flirting but I haven't seen any eggs recently, and never yet had fry.

On the other hand, their tankmates the Farlowella vittata have spawned a few times. After some false starts where I lost the babies, the latest batch of twiglets are now nearly 3 weeks old and I still have all 16 of them. The biggest ones are just over an inch long and will soon be moving to a grow-out tank. They're eating well on chlorella and spirulina powder, microworms, spinach leaves and broccoli stalk.

twiglets_17days.jpg

Swez

5 Year Member
Congrats on spawning the twig catfish... All the best with the dicrossus.. Hope they soon spawn for u....

Mol_PMB

I've bought 4 more juvenile Dicrossus recently and I got the smallest ones so I hope there are some more females amongst them. I'm planning to set up a dedicated breeding tank for the Dicrossus later this year but at the moment my cats are keeping me busy.
In the past month I've had spawns from my BNs and two Cory species as well as the twigs.
I'm also hoping to see some action from my ocellated Kribs and my Cupids this year.

Swez

5 Year Member
Wow... U r going to be busy... Ive got myself 4 of dicrossus maculatus.. growin on my community tank.. Waitin till they grow.. If I do have a male n female, may try to breed thn

Mol_PMB

I've been at the Catfish Convention all weekend, and have come home to find not just another batch of newly-hatched Farlowellas, but in the same tank my female Dicrossus is herding a group of her own babies. This is the first time I have ever had any hatch. What now? How do I feed baby Dicrossus? Do I leave them in there?
The tank only has 3 Farlowellas plus newly-hatched fry, and 3 Dicrossus plus newly-hatched fry. Mrs Dicrossus is vigorously nipping and driving away the twig cats that are 5 times her size!

Mol_PMB

This is my first time with cichlids. I'm sure you guys see this all the time, but it was just soooo cute when mum went after a stray fry, scooped it up in her mouth and brought it back to the group!
The fry are tiny - smaller than daphnia. But I suppose that's what I should expect with one of the smallest cichlids.

I have micro-worm, banana worm, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, smallest size golden pearls, plus chlorella and spirulina powders. Are these the right sort of things to be feeding?

Mol_PMB

So, some pics of the new babies
smile.gif

Sorry for the quality - they are really tiny and the lighting conditions are not ideal for pics.

I think their numbers are dropping, hopefully some will make it. Fingers crossed the parents will breed again.
I just tested the pH in the tank, and it's 4.7!

Attachments

• dicrossus_fry.jpg
    dicrossus_fry.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 442
  • dicrossus_fry_2.jpg
    dicrossus_fry_2.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 439
  • dicrossus_fry_3.jpg
    dicrossus_fry_3.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 421
  • dicrossus_fry_4.jpg
    dicrossus_fry_4.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 419

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
pH 4.7? Not to worry. The species has been collected in the wild in waters ~ pH 3.5 (Battery Acid!). Many live foods won't live long at these low values, so feed sparingly and often.

Mol_PMB

Thanks - good tip :) I've been working at home today so I've been feeding microworms or bananaworms every couple of hours.
Mum still seems to be taking good care of her brood, which do seem to be growing and becoming more active.

This tank generally runs at a pH between 5.5 and 6.0, but I suspect the Dicrossus breeding may have been encouraged by the pH drop.
I'm not sure what the Farlowellas think of it but both adults and fry seem to be dealing with it fine. The Farlowellas are more bothered by being regularly attacked by Mum Dicrossus.

I'm just boiling up some oak bark and leaves so I can do a water-change without upsetting the pH too much. I've also put in a chunk of poly-filter as an insurance to take out any nasties, as the filter bacteria don't multiply much in acid. Water all tests fine at the moment though.

Mol_PMB

I've finally got some decent pictures. Here is the best one :)

My proud little Mrs Dicrossus stands guard while her babies forage for food in the algae. :D

Attachments

• Dicrossus_Mum+Babies.jpg
    Dicrossus_Mum+Babies.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 420

Mol_PMB

Babies growing well :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 427

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….