• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizi Tefe or sp. Tefe

bchai

Hi
I just purchase a pair of these Apistogrammas on aquabid. I need some identification to whether these are agassizi Tefe or sp. Tefe.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwapisto1424200027
fwapisto1424200027.jpg

bchai

Thanks Mike, I just got the pair today and they are indeed sp. Tefe. The male does have the distinctive wavy bands.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes they are 2 different species. Cross breeding the fish results in poor viability of egg and fry, weak specimens, usually sterile with deformed scales and fins. The differences are very distinct. It has been described on the forum many times. Do a search for the differences.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
What is the difference between the two and what does the sp stand for? Sorry for the ignorance.

The "sp." stands for species, it is used when a species has yet to be officially described. A. sp. Tefe is in the Agassizii-group, but is not the same species as A. Agassizii.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your male show dark margins around the entire scale, below the lateral band. This 'pine cone' appearance is diagnostic of the populations of A. cf. agassizii (Netz).

A. sp. Tefé show dark margins only along the bottom margin of the scales. This forms a wavy horizontal line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….