• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma ID

reija

Can someone identify this guy?

I have had a pair of these now for two months. They were tiny when I got them, so they are still pretty young, but they have already spawned a couple of times, and the eggs have hatched at least once, so I think they should have developed at least some of the colors they should have as adults. I bought these as A.Viejita, but I would guess they are not that.

Males colors change quite a lot depending on the mood. In the picture he's busy being angry at other fish stealing the food. Dark stripes (both horizontal and vertical) disappear almost completely for example when he's posing for the female.

Any idea what this might be?

Attachments

• apisto2.png
    apisto2.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 415

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not A. viejita - nor any macmasteri-group species. It belongs to the regani-group, resticulosa-complex. It might be A. sp. Wangen-flecken/Cheek-spots, but not 100% positive. How large is the male? Do you have photos of the female?

reija

Thank you for the reply! I'll try to get pictures of the female and measurements of them tomorrow, I'm bad at estimating sizes. Lights are already out for today (it's 11:30PM here)

reija

Not too great pictures. They are not cooperative. And the algae collection is pretty good.

Female is again defending a bush in the back of the tank, so she's too busy to eat in peace. She is quite thin, I've been trying to feed them in the opposite ends of the tank, since they are not too peaceful when there is food around. Or otherwise, for that matter. Depends on the day, but every now and then there is a lot of chasing each other around.

Measuring them is also a bit difficult, but I would say the male is approximately 3.5cm plus tail. Maybe even a bit more.

Attachments

• apisto5.png
    apisto5.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 359
  • apisto6.png
    apisto6.png
    474.4 KB · Views: 339
  • apisto7.png
    apisto7.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 329

reija

Thank you very much for your answers! I don't think I have ever seen this apistogramma before, but now looking at the pictures, it looks very much like it. I guess they are not that commonly available in Finland. Good to know what I have. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….