• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any apisto's available in the Philly metro area?

ErtyJr

Update on Snubnose 38 aka orange flash cac. Doing great! This is clearly a superior strain. His ventrals are blue, as is the area around his jaw. moved him to 55, well planted, with other apistos and tetras. Also put a wild form female cac in the tank. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for the update kevin. Next time get some pics. Here is one of his brother, whom you saw when you picked up snu nose 38.

Attachments

• 20150225_165518.jpg
    20150225_165518.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 348

Diesel Fitter

Gents, good afternoon, the remaining Cacatoides fry are now approaching almost 1" I length, males are now easily sexable, fish that aren't displayino much orange I am assuming to be females. It has been a lot of fun and a little bit of extra time feeding and raising bbs but overall a great experience. My only complaint is that my success in raising fry to this stage has been a relative high number of fry hatched compared to what I now consider a low number of "teenage" early adult fry. My best count seems to 4 possibly 5 babies remaining. Also I have a 20 gallon a day Kent R/O unit that is free if either of you guys are interested. Dave

ErtyJr

Gents, good afternoon, the remaining Cacatoides fry are now approaching almost 1" I length, males are now easily sexable, fish that aren't displayino much orange I am assuming to be females. It has been a lot of fun and a little bit of extra time feeding and raising bbs but overall a great experience. My only complaint is that my success in raising fry to this stage has been a relative high number of fry hatched compared to what I now consider a low number of "teenage" early adult fry. My best count seems to 4 possibly 5 babies remaining. Also I have a 20 gallon a day Kent R/O unit that is free if either of you guys are interested. Dave

Sorry to hear that your success ratio seems to be so low. But on a side note.

I'd love that RO unit!

Diesel Fitter

Glad to hear it Chance, now for the sticky part, I had problems with this unit back in December primarily with the R/O membrane. So I placed an order with TFP, and received a new Kent membrane, which was a complete loser, because the output was about 5 gallons a week. So once again back to TFP for a replacement membrane and once again the same result ensued. Needless to say a very frustrating and also deadly situation especially for newly hatched and free swimming fry. Anyway notbeing themost patient person in the world I decided to get a 90 gallon a day R/O from Spectrapure for an incredible price of $124.00, and that included a DI canister. The Kent unit hasa new sediment filter and 2 membranes, hopefully you can get 1 working. From what I have seen apparently there is a way to condition a bad membrane by using rubbing alcohol ,which is called fluxing. Let me know if you are still interested. Dave

ErtyJr

Yes I'd certainly be interested still. I'm sure I can figure something out with it. Free is free, I'll fix it somehow lol. So how would I go about getting it?

Diesel Fitter

Can we meet at say the hidden reef either Friday afternoon, or Sunday at any time, week days are normally crazy for us so that pretty much leaves Friday and Sunday. OR I can leave it outside my house when we are all at work and school and you can grab it here. I sure we can work something out, David

ErtyJr

Yes weekdays are a mess for me as well lol. I think Sunday would be the best bet for me. What time would you like to meet up sunday? I'll have to set my phone alarm so I don't forget! I will pm you my phone number as well.

Diesel Fitter

I am thinking around 10:00am, hoping this works for you, I did receive your phone number, we can communicate using this forum until we get to Sunday. Let me know if this time is acceptable to you, have a great night. David

Diesel Fitter

Yo, Erty, see you tomorrow at The Hidden Reef at 10.00am. I will be driving a green toyota 4 door tundra pickup truck with matching toneau cover. Dave

ErtyJr

Hey dave, outside at the moment parked to the far right side of the lot. See ya soon.

Oh and also there is another dark colored ram here with a guy sitting in it lol. That's not me, I'm in the one without a chrome bumper.

Kevin F Smith

Hello all! Update: Aquarium Center Blackwood NJ has wild Dicrossus filamentosa. Pairs ay $10.00. Hidden reef has Apist. Agasizzi Orange Fire, listed 3/24. Never heard them listed by that name before. something different? Fish Factory has two pairs cacatuoides look like orange flash, although I think one female died. I plant to visit TFP in a few weeks. I have an apisto iniridae with internal parasite. any advice on what to use for treatment? Used praxipro the other day. No change yet. Thanks!

ErtyJr

Hey kevin, I'm sorry to hear about your poor A. Iniridae.

To treat it's best to get the fish to eat the meds, if not ingested internal parasites can survive treatments.

Try soaking their food in the praxipro first. Paraguard and garlicguard may help as well. If the fish doesn't want to take the med soaked food try adding garlic, or garlicguard to it. Helps with the taste.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Kevin +all..

I think the most common internal "parasite" on Apistos are flagellates..
On Discus fishes(Symphysodon sp.) it shows as holes in the head..
On Apistos it usually shows as internal problems at first.. but may develop to visable holes in the head..

Tetra Medica HexaEx is one good product to use..
It used to be in shape of yellow compressed flat pills (1cm in diameter) that you just put in the tank according to their recommendations.
This seems to be a fluid variant..
http://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/Tetra-Medica-HexaEx/117323/

or this fluid alternative!!
Sera Flagellol also ought to be effective..

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/Sera-Flagellol/386930/

These are the ones I know will work+be available here in Europe.., I don`t know about the U.S.-PetStore-market though!!??

Good luck!!
/Micke

MickeM

5 Year Member
BTW !!!

If you´re into great and fun music with some attitude...
Be sure to find and listen to "Parasite". by the Swedish Rock band Mustasch while you treat it!!.. :D

/Micke

Kevin F Smith

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm going to lose it. If I had to lose one I really wish is didn't have to be iniradae. Could be years before I see it again. I'm going to try the garlic.

BTW, In my years of experience with apistos, angels and discus, I have narrowed down parasitic illnesses to one common thread: live food. I've had particular problems with live food from HR, especially their brine shrimp.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
BTW, In my years of experience with apistos, angels and discus, I have narrowed down parasitic illnesses to one common thread: live food. I've had particular problems with live food from HR, especially their brine shrimp.
I don't have any scientific expertise in this area, but I'd be very surprised if Brine Shrimps were the source of fish internal parasites, based purely upon the fact that Brine shrimps occur in habitats without any fish.

cheers Darrel

bobthebadger53

Hey guys, back again. I called Fish Factory over the weekend and they said they didn't have any apistos left. ErtyJr- do you have any cacs for sale right now? I've been trying to buy one from stores for a while with no luck, so i'm thinking I may need to order one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….