• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this an A. baenschi?

Greg

I thought I purchased a pair of A. baenschi females but it soon became obvious they were a male/female. This guy seems a bit dark for baenschi but he's my first apisto.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7EYPt3

The female was much more colorful. He doesn't have much of a dorsal fin either.

https://flic.kr/p/r65nuF

Sl my questions are 1) is this A. baenschi and 2) should I be concerned about his lack of a dorsal fin? Thanks.

(pardon the flickr links, I'll figure out how to post images and video this aft!)

rr16

5 Year Member
With A. nijsseni group species (A, nijsseni, A. panduro etc) I've found that the males can sometimes be quite dark when they are younger, particularly if stressed, but this seems to depend on individuals. You'll also probably need more light on the pictures and pictures of them in different postions, with fins spread as well to get an idea. The secondary sexual characteristics can take some time to develop too - the fin extensions, colours etc. and some A. nijsseni group juveniles can look similar until these secondary sexual characteristcs have developed.

Greg

I'm not 100% certain (and I'm a beginner so going out on a limb) but they seemed to exhibit strong dimorphism. The female's background was much lighter colored and she was smaller - maybe 2/3rds the size? It was very obvious after 2 or 3 days which of the pair was dominant.
I think I might have got away with it if I'd added some caves and/or more plants. Everything I read says these are best kept in harems so perhaps it was never the best idea.

Greg

G'day. I managed to get a few more. The quality is not good as I'm using my iphone 6:

rdmvcYp.jpg

r87y6Uu.jpg
Mhbabvy.jpg
Pr7wRSX.jpg

Thanks!

Greg

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks.
He's doing fine and I'll soon have more company for him :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….