• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma hongsloi male or female

lea

Hello,

I bought these as a pair a week ago. At first noticed, that they are the same size, around 4cm in length.
Ordered them by post and during unpacking noticed that one was pale, while the other dark in colour, today the pale one is more yellow and dark one is more blue.
Purchased them from Czech breeder and he ensured me, that they are pair.
Want to believe him, but that they are same size makes me unsure...
Can you share your opinions please.

thank you
P1080062.JPG

P1080063.JPG
P1080065.JPG
P1080066.JPG

DARK MALE?
P1080068.JPG

YELLOW FEMALE?

MickeM

5 Year Member
I agree with Mike!!
As long as the male can fight down/compete with your male of Ap. macmasteri.., he will probably establish a territory on his own
and you will have a real nice pair/couple in a month or so!!
If he can not .. he might not grow at the same speed!!! (And not show his "mature" colours until he can dominate an area..)

It looks like they are in a good condition though!!:):)

lea

Thank you both!
So, MickeM, you think its Ap. macmasteri? well, I purchased them as sp. aff. viejita II, but probably you are right, as those are very rare.
Viejita male is quite peaceful, female is the biggest chaser, but little hongslois are brave too. Will move hongsloi to different tank, if they won't establish teritories.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
AFAIK all fish sold commercially as "viejita II" are A. macmasteri, like yours. The true A. viejita has only been in the hobby for the past 6 months or so and sold as "A. viejita" - at a rather high price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….