• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wondering if someone can sex my "Pair" of super red apistos

Bluerams88

IMG_20150303_212546.jpg Just wondering if the two fish in the picture are males or a male and a female. The red one has been chasing the yellow one around quite a bit, but I have seen them go into the apistos cave together. I'm just confused to what the sexes are for sure.. These are younger fish, btw.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Right is a male and so is the one on the left. The lack of dark front edges on the ventral fins for the left fish points to a male. Also, young female will never have that much color on the unpaired fins. Only when females get much older would the color comes through like a male.

Better luck next time.

Bluerams88

Darn! Well, thanks for the fast reply! It is appreciated. Would you happen to know anywhere I can get a female or two Apisto. c. 'super red'? I'm thinking about just getting some female double reds to go with the male super reds.

gerald

5 Year Member
Fancy domestic strain females can have a lot of color, and are more confusing to determine sex than wild-type varieties. I think it's possible your yellow one could be female; the dark front edge on pelvic fins can come and go with mood. Does that one sometimes show a dark edge?

Bluerams88

I think it does sometimes show a dark edge, but I haven't paid close attention to it as of yet. I have noticed though that whenever the yellow one comes around to the red one, the red one stops, puts its dorsal fins up and slowly swims to the yellow one and then either tail slaps it or chases it to the other side of the tank. Over and Over again. Sometimes the yellow one will put its dorsal fins up and stand its ground, but never for very long.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree with gerald. Domestic color-enhanced strains can be hard to sex, especially when young. The behavior of the fish seems to indicate typical courtship behavior, but the (presumed) female isn't ready yet, so the male tries to chase her out of his territory - the entire tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….