• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 Gallon Apisto Tank

DanielG

this looks amazing! watching this thread!
Thank you!

I'll upload some more recent pics tonight. Looks like it has been just about a full year since this project left the ground.

I've done a slight rescape since the driftwood has shed a lot of material into the tank, and down into places I couldn't vacuum it out of...so out came the wood and the scape changed.

I've had the same Agasszii male in the tank and he seems to LOVE it! I've got four coconut caves setup for him and he regularly uses them at night. The four angelfish have now been reduced down to the two spawning pair. I've managed to keep TWO fry alive in their own tank...lol. The parents have successfully eaten three spawnings.

DanielG

IMG_5388_zpsca2a8c73.jpg

IMG_5389_zps6392077a.jpg

IMG_5394_zps82885b48.jpg

IMG_5396_zpsecf1332e.jpg

IMG_5397_zps041b5e62.jpg

_MG_5263_zps177954ac.jpg

_MG_5266_zps2047ec0a.jpg

I'd upload some of the Agassizii but he's bunked up in a coconut cave at the moment :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Brilliant, the fish and Anubias look really healthy, and I like the Pistia, great roots and brilliant for water quality.
The four angelfish have now been reduced down to the two spawning pair. I've managed to keep TWO fry alive in their own tank...lol. The parents have successfully eaten three spawnings.
I know Angelfish aren't always very good parents, but it might be the Pristella tetras either eating the Angelfish fry or causing the adults too.

cheers Darrel

DanielG

Well...change is coming. The wife and I have decided to install hardwood flooring in the living room. This means that this tank will have to be dismantled. In the meantime, i'll be taking both the Angels and the Agassizii and putting them into their own 10 gallon tanks for the time being. The Dwarf Emerald Rasboras will go in the with single Angelfish fry I have in his own tank. I think they are small enough that they won't pose a threat to the little guy.

While everything is down, I'm going to look into having my floor joists reinforced. It would seem that I am getting a bit of deflection in the boards. The back bottom of the tank measures about 4" from the wall, while the top of the stand measures about 4.25" from the wall. The water level in the tank is visibly higher on the right side of the tank versus the left as well. I've had no problems so far, but I should take this opportunity to fine tune things.

The stand will be designed a bit differently. I originally built the stand to have a 3" hole on the left side for the return/overflow, with a 2" hole in the back for power chords. Well, this hasn't worked too well. I plan on adding a 3" hole on the back right side so the return line plumbing is A. shortened, and B. mostly contained within the stand.

I will post pics as things happen for people to watch! I didn't imagine this thread would have accumulated the amount of views it has.

My original idea was to have this tank be predominantly Apisto's. But I found that the tank was, well, kinda dead without more activity. Hence the tetra's and angels.

We'll see what happens when the tank is revived. I bought a new sand that is WAY finer and free of silicates, so i'll be able to test out the Silicates = Diatoms theory.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
We'll see what happens when the tank is revived. I bought a new sand that is WAY finer and free of silicates, so i'll be able to test out the Silicates = Diatoms theory.
I'm interested in this one. Sand is "quartz" and quartz is silicon dioxide (SiO2). Personally I'm unconvinced that either glass, sand or moler clay(all SiO2 based) contribute to diatom blooms.

cheers Darrel

DanielG

Hi all, I'm interested in this one. Sand is "quartz" and quartz is silicon dioxide (SiO2). Personally I'm unconvinced that either glass, sand or moler clay(all SiO2 based) contribute to diatom blooms.

cheers Darrel

I just thought I'd try it out. Of course I don't have the technical background on the new sand, but I will include a link to the product in case you want to investigate. I'd like your input on it.

One thing I notice is how freaking dusty it is despite being advertised as having 'low dust'. One thing I DO like, is how fine it is. The grains are WAY smaller compared to the pool filter sand I currently have in the 75.

I currently have some in two of my 10 gallons I am getting setup for temporary fish housing, i'll post a pic of it tonight.

Link

DanielG

The sand is not too white?

Honestly, I like the look of the sand. It reflects some light up to the plants too, which is always a plus. And the fish don't seem to care either. The agassizii has been pretty comfortable (making sure to put in his favorite coconut cave to sleep in too). I just put some tetras in with the agassizii today to complete the dismantling process of the 75 gal.

Back to the question. I like it, it does show ALL of the gunk sitting on top, but in my mind it helps me keep the tanks clean.

DanielG

I know it has been quite the qhile on this thread...The tank is still dismantled due to unforeseen family issues that have come up. But i am slowly working on setting up a constant drip water change system.

The next major step is drilling the tank (which i plan to have done professionally since i do not trust myself to do it). Once that is completed it is simply a matter of setting up the fresh water supply.

I have also repainted the interior of the stand to be white to improve visibility. With this, i have also purchased a flourescent light fixture to mount inside as well.

I've had a crazy idea to plump up both my mag 3 pumps to the same line...Im not sure how this will work but hopefully it will increase flow in the tank.

One of the Angelfish passed away despite rigorous treatments of various sorts. The father & the single fry that survived are alive and well! Doing great actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….