• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi

Martin

Hello,

I finally managed to get some good quality rams at my LFS.
I've had very bad experiences with these guys before, some bad stock made it's way to SA and they tended to arrive with internal parasites as a free extra.( I later discovered that these where locally bred)

So far these guys are going strong, I've had them just over 3 months and they are just awesome to watch.

I thought I'd share some pics
Male on a high speed pass:
RamMale01_zpsbye8hefa.jpg

Female picking on a anubius:
Ram_F1_zpsdrh8hjbr.jpg

The pair checking each other out(male at the back):
Ram_P1_zpswswqt4en.jpg

I really like these guys, awesome characters...

Cheers
Martin

Martin

Beautiful fish, beautiful photos.
Thanks Mike,

I agree, that male is the best I've seen locally and he is part of a 600+ spawn of which 560 where sold to local shops!!

The photos are actually screen captures of videos taken with my IPhone. it takes crappy pictures but the videos are ok. LOL

abrooks12376

They look great, i lucked out with pretty much identical stock to yours. I had the male with a wc female, he showed off for her all the time, she didn't like him.. added a fem. Gbr and they spawned the next morning. You can see how much more relaxed he is with his new gf.. i had bad luck as well, couldn't keep them happy for long.. it's so nice to finally get some that make it past the 6 month mark!
uploadfromtaptalk1424376383862.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1424376414252.jpg

Martin

They look great, i lucked out with pretty much identical stock to yours. I had the male with a wc female, he showed off for her all the time, she didn't like him.. added a fem. Gbr and they spawned the next morning. You can see how much more relaxed he is with his new gf.. i had bad luck as well, couldn't keep them happy for long.. it's so nice to finally get some that make it past the 6 month mark!

Thanks for the reply, your fish and plants look really healthy-congrats. Your Rams are awesome.

I've actually got 2 females and 1 male in the tank, mainly because the male is a real horny teenager and chases both females around quite a lot. He has a favourite female and they spawn at least once a week but sadly the female eats the eggs.

I don't think my water is 100% for successful spawns, I have started using 50/50 Ro water changes so hopefully there will be some fry in the next couple of weeks. When fry appears I'll probably have to move the other female.

regards
Martin

themountain

5 Year Member
When they are young they tend to eat the fry...give them some time. Mine needed almost a year before they successful
brought a spawn up...beautiful fish BTW. ;)

Martin

Finally after about 8 unsuccessful spawns there are wrigglers.

After switching to 50/50 RO and tap water changes it seems that my water parameters are better for spawning(thanks to the advice from fellow members on the forum).

Normally my rams would spawn and the next morning the eggs were gone, eaten by the female. These guys spawned again on Friday afternoon and yesterday the fist wrigglers appeared. They spawned on a small flat rock as usual and the pair started to move the wrigglers to a hollowed out piece of wood.

So far I've counted about 30 that I could see, they are hidden pretty well.
This is the female, the 3 grey dots below her tail on the wood are wrigglers.
rsf_01_zpstkxhwbly.jpg

Here are some shots of the proud dad:
rsm_02_zpsm5veoonn.jpg

rsm_01_zpse4ojhfwx.jpg

Regards
Martin

Martin

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately the fry didn't make it to the free swimming stage, they where pretty exposed in the middle of the tank on the wood...

On the plus side, the pair spawned again last night, they always spawn at about 5pm.

Hopefully this time the female will help a bit more. The poor male has to watch the eggs while she runs off eating, then she returns to the eggs and the male goes to try and eat but after about 2 seconds she calls him back to the eggs and she goes on the prowl again...real b!tch LOL.

I'm quite keen to see if they move the wrigglers to the same spot as the last batch because they always spawn on the same rock so maybe they are creatures of habit...

Regards
Martin

Martin

Forgot to add some pics of the tank...

I'm quite happy with the way it turned out so far, just need the carpet plants to, well, carpet LOL

In this pic you can see where they spawn (flat rock on the left) and where they moved the wrigglers (wood in the middle)
RT_01_zpsn1afmseq.jpg

This is just a overall shot.
RT_02_zpswrrtzklf.jpg

Cheers
Martin

Martin

Yip abrooks12376 , that is glosso, not doing to well in that tank (slow growing and algae trap), might replace it with Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Martin

Ok, so nothing came from that spawn.

The "spare" female made sure that no eggs survive, she is now in solitary confinement.

This is a new spawn, with the male over the eggs.
RamMeggs_zpstvmii55f.jpg

Regards
Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….