• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Campellolebias brucei

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all ..

It might not be a real tank mate alternative, but for sure an odd South American Killi !!
Fishes of this genus are famous (infamous..) for being quite aggressive..
This old male lives in a tank with a female, but she often hides in the peat and plants..
I really like the size of his eyes...!!:)

Cheers
Micke

Attachments

• 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 127.JPG
    127.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 128.JPG
    128.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 130.JPG
    130.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 426
  • 134.JPG
    134.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 472
  • 147.JPG
    147.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 492
  • 168.JPG
    168.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 097.JPG
    097.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 475
  • 098.JPG
    098.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 478

MickeM

5 Year Member
Thanks guys!!

Yes.. Frans Vermeulens website really is one of the best!!

BTW ..!! I have been breeding some Bettas for the last year also.. (Betta miniopinna and Betta hendra) But no larger batches!!
I`ve kept the fry in the same tank as the spawning couples..
I actually moved out my last 4 youngsters of B. hendra from the breeding tank today!! (approx. 1-2cm)
The fry really grow individually fast.. And then I guess they might eat or fight with their siblings if given the opportunity..!!!???

I took some more pics of C. brucei today..
They got some new water a few days ago.. , unfortunately my camera was at home that day!!
(the male becomes almost black+blue when he woos the female!!!!!)

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 385

MickeM

5 Year Member
Yes, I`m afraid it is the age factor ..!
+ the lack of delivered live black worms since 2 months back!!. ( a seasonal product by our wholesaler)
now we/the fishes only get white mosquito larvae.... We will have to start the breeding of the black worms or else now I think!!

My friend stopped main feeding his fishes with tubifex and dry types of food several decades ago..... due to polluted tubifex+way to much restproducts just passing unprocessed by the stomachs of the fishes..! (Though many/all killies eat dry food as well..)
I feed my killie fry dry food approx. twice a week!!
I don`t think it is hard to make grown up to take it..??. in nature they eat almost anything!!:D:D

One other thing that might get us worried .. is the Glugea !!!.. "a genus of microsporidian parasites, predominantly infecting fish" !!!(Wikipedia)
..when we buy fishes/eggs !! It was a common problem in the 1970`s-80`s I`ve been told!!??
I don`t know if it is back in the hobby..or maybe always present, but not blooming/developing further!!??

We can often observe our killie males losing weight!!.. they often gets so occupied with the female/s in the tank that he hardly eat at all.
And consuming a lot of energy.. at least when having several males in the same tank!! (Which can be a good alternative sometimes..regarding to the terror balance!)
Due to their short life span they start spawning very early in their lives.. Some annual Nothobrancius (from Africa) are sexually active at the age of 3 weeks!!

We thought that this male would have died already.. months ago..!!! But he is struggling on...guarding his area!! The female hides in the peat most of the time!!
I was reading about that behaviour in one of Dalton Nielsens books if I remember it correctly..
http://www.aquariushobby.com.br/eco...-Cynopoecilini-Dalton-Nielsen-Livro-em-Ingles
Many females+young males of the genus(?)Leptolebias + other similar species lives like that.. diving into the substrate to hide from dominating fishes+ predators of course!!

BTW..here is a reeeeaally nice killi blog!!:)

http://killiworld.blogspot.se/

/Micke

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….