• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry already flirty, less than a month free swimming?

Diesel Fitter

My A. Cacatoides pair spawned for the second time in January, and this time I have at least 4 maybe 5 babies left after they became free swimming onJan. 27. I have left them in the tank that they were spawned in along with their "Mum", who has become "Mommy Dearest". She gives them a hard time especially at feeding time but they don't seem to care. They just find another place to hunt bbs. I should add that this tank is very heavily planted with driftwood and a couple of rocks.
Lately, the fry have been acting alot like adults, the way that male and female pairs act toward one another. I cannot sex these fish yet, but, they seem to know something I don't. Am I observing normal behavior for such young fish? These guys are all about 7/16 to a 1/2 " long, and eating like pigs. Thanks all, David

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For A. cacatuoides juveniles, yes this is normal. They aren't interested in breeding just yet (give them another month or 2), but they are sorting out a dominance 'pecking order'.

Diesel Fitter

Thanks Mike, it is always a learning experience with these little fish, their behaviors, personalities, and life cycle. Without a doubt much more interesting, to me, than angel fish, discus or other community type soft water fish.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….