• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My 5 ft planted community

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
what sort of fertliser do you use, ive tried using a carbon based one and once i started using it, i started to get a black algae growing off wood/glass and now the the plants, i have stripped wood out and scrapped all of it off but just comes back :( wondered if it was down to using a carbon based fert?
Black Brush Algae is a difficult one to control, I use Ramshorn snails in the tanks with harder water.

When you say "carbon based" do you mean it is a carbon supplement like EXCEL etc?

These add carbon, but they don't add any of the other nutrients the plants needs. Have a look a the Duckweed Index link above.

cheers Darrel

rr16

5 Year Member
Finally got my female A. nijsseni for this tank so watch this space! Here's one of the female A. barlowi.

Attachments

• A. barlowi female.jpg
    A. barlowi female.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 347

rr16

5 Year Member
The female A. nijsseni has been spotted a couple of times now. Last seen within the territory of the male A. nijsseni so hopefully this is a good sign. Here are a few pics from the last few days of my A. barlowi and one of the discus.

Attachments

• A. barlowi female.jpg
    A. barlowi female.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 370
  • A. barlowi male 1.jpg
    A. barlowi male 1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 373
  • A. barlowi male.jpg
    A. barlowi male.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Discus.jpg
    Discus.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 367

rr16

5 Year Member
Here are a few more pics!

Attachments

• A. agassizi male.jpg
    A. agassizi male.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 365
  • A. barlowi female 1.jpg
    A. barlowi female 1.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 350
  • A. barlowi female 2.jpg
    A. barlowi female 2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 357
  • A. barlowi female.jpg
    A. barlowi female.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Discus portrait.jpg
    Discus portrait.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 344

rr16

5 Year Member
The female A. aggasizi has brought the wrigglers into view, kindly for my photography and viewing pleasure!

Attachments

• A. agassizi female with wrigglers 1.jpg
    A. agassizi female with wrigglers 1.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 329
  • A. agassizi female with wrigglers 2.jpg
    A. agassizi female with wrigglers 2.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 344
  • A. agassizi female with wrigglers.jpg
    A. agassizi female with wrigglers.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 351

rr16

5 Year Member
Well, I did a cold water top up and the fry all died! The tank went all anoxic. I went all out and redid the whole tank with the fish still in. Had to lay everything out blind as the tank was completely murky and couldn't see a thing. Here it is now!

Attachments

• Green neons.jpg
    Green neons.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 346
  • Tank 3.jpg
    Tank 3.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Tank 4.jpg
    Tank 4.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 338

rr16

5 Year Member
Here is the tank with a few new additions!

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Dicrossus 1.jpg
    Dicrossus 1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Dicrossus 2.jpg
    Dicrossus 2.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Dicrossus.jpg
    Dicrossus.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 348

chris1805

5 Year Member
Sorry for the late comment, but how come that your tank went full anoxic? And how did you fix that problem? If i read it right you said it was mainly because of adding cold water, which i myself always do with a water change so that pretty much scares me.

rr16

5 Year Member
It should be fine! I still add cold water changes. It was more that there was a lot of decaying leaf litter and vegetation on the bottom that I should have cleaned out and I think the cold water sank and disturbed this leaf litter which may have been more anoxic due to bacteria breaking down the plant matter (this is all speculation and I may not be correct) and mixed this in with the water higher up the tank, reducing the overall oxygen levels. The fish were then gasping at the surface and because a fairly wide area of the surface was covered in plants, there was not enough room for gaseous exchange to take place effectively, plus one of the filters had become clogged and was not causing as much surface agitation. I basically took all the decor and plants out, siphoned off about 40% (I think), replaced the decor and plants and topped the tank up after cleaning the filters out. I've since cleaned both filters out again as there was a lot of detritus sucked up after the cleaning and the water is looking decidedly clearer now!

rr16

5 Year Member
Here are a few recent pics from this tank.

Attachments

• A cacatuoides male 1.jpg
    A cacatuoides male 1.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 338
  • A cacatuoides male 2.jpg
    A cacatuoides male 2.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 333
  • Dicrosus filamentosus.jpg
    Dicrosus filamentosus.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 355
  • splash tetras.jpg
    splash tetras.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 346

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….