• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question: Open top tanks safe for apistos?

WendyKL

Trying to figure out what I'll be doing for lighting and would like to do open top - is this safe for apistos and/or is there a recommendation regarding margin (in inches) from top of water to top of tank?
Thanks!

Wendy

ErtyJr

Trying to figure out what I'll be doing for lighting and would like to do open top - is this safe for apistos and/or is there a recommendation regarding margin (in inches) from top of water to top of tank?
Thanks!

Wendy

I have a few females in an open top. I have never had a problem. They've been in there quite some time. However it doesn't matter what fish it is, the risk of them jumping is ALWAYS there. I will say it's a pretty safe bet they will not jump, but they may decide to one day just like every single other fish. As far as the recommended water line that I don't really have any info for you on. A few inches should be fine, but of course more is better.

gerald

5 Year Member
Can you lay some 2-inch wide strips of glass around the entire perimeter? That will greatly reduce the chance of jumping, while still having a mostly open top.

abrooks12376

I had a pair of panduro in a tank with a Glass top, only the tiniest opening along the back, found the female on the floor one morning, she must have wanted out of that tank real bad. On the other hand.. i keep 1m/2f cacs in a open top 30l.. they stay put..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos do jump at times, particularly if in a relatively bare tank and startled. I find that jumping is reduced in a tank with a lot of hiding places AND the surface completely covered with plants.

unhappyfeet

I'd say open top is a bad idea, I've seen my male agazizizi jump out of the water when chased by his bossy partner when she's grumpy. Also you have a chance of condensation issues with localised wall coverings and plasterwork etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….