• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

São Gabriel da Cachoeira or Barcelos biotope

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I recently bought an aquarium with following measurements: 120x60x40(LxDxH) cm.
My plan is to keep a group of Apistogramma mendezi in it, since my other tank with the A. mendezi was too small to keep a group in.

In the other aquarium I had 5 males, so I got into contact with a shop in Amersfoort and he told me he could oder some A. mendezi for me. So a couple of days ago I went to amersfoort to collect 8 Apistogramma mendezi.

My ideal plan would be to keep a group consisting of 3 males and 7 females. But it would be magic if nearly all new specimens would be females. So I'll wait and see how much I can keep.

I've tried to recreate a Rio salgádo, Barcelos or Rio curicuriari, São Gabriel da Cachoeira biotope. I've normally got the Längstreifen-form, so they should come from Barcelos but all A. mendezi that are imported get the label "São Gabriel" or "Santa Isabel". Furthermore the only description on this species originates from Uwe Römer, as I can't find a report from Heiko Bleher. Or have you guys got extra information?

The tank they will be kept in as a group(don't mind the blurry picture):
temp5 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

As you see I've added a big layer of fallen leaves, what gives them the ideal opportunity to hide.
But then I also like to have a dither fish to recreate a complete scene as you could possibly see it in the wild.

But these fish should really be "biotope"-correct, as I mean if someone goes on a collecting trip he should see the A. mendezi and the other fish at the same spot.

In the past I always wanted to keep the Nannostomus marilynae, but since they have some look-a-likes and the only way I can get them is by post without knowing they really are the N. marilynae is no option.

So I wonder if you could help me.

PhilipAG

5 Year Member
Brian, thanks, I also love the tannin stained water with the red-brown colour. In the future I'll try to make a better picture, because this one is quite blurry.

Frank, thanks and indeed, they like to hide themself but I do often spot someof them.

It seems they've adjusted well, since I've seen two females with fry. I managed to take some pictures of one of the females:
DSC_3267 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3287 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3289 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3290 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3293 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3295 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3296 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

DSC_3326 by Philip AG Shaw, on Flickr

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….