• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hemichromis stellifer wild pair with fry

Ekona

5 Year Member
Congratulations! and thanks for sharing. They look to be a peaceful pair? I tried to breed wild H. cristatus once, but the male was so aggressive I simply could not have the pair together in the same space (30 breeder with tons of hiding places for female.) I separated them with a plastic mesh divider for a month, until the female was ripe. Removed divider and same thing. Too bad, as they were just gorgeous fish, but I couldn't breed them and have never tried with Hemichromis again.

dpien

5 Year Member
Congratulations! and thanks for sharing. They look to be a peaceful pair? I tried to breed wild H. cristatus once, but the male was so aggressive I simply could not have the pair together in the same space (30 breeder with tons of hiding places for female.) I separated them with a plastic mesh divider for a month, until the female was ripe. Removed divider and same thing. Too bad, as they were just gorgeous fish, but I couldn't breed them and have never tried with Hemichromis again.
Thanks!
These 2 had already paired up before I got them, perhaps this is why they are so peaceful. No aggression at all. I removed most of the fry today to raise separately, although the parents had shown no aggression towards the fry either. You should try again sometime if you see a nice pair of a pure form of Hemichromis - they are very nice fish.

viejo

5 Year Member
I certainly wouldn't recommend mating these pure strain fish with fish of an unknown provenance. Lamboj seems to suggest that hemichromis species are reluctant to cross species lines but I'm sure that this is not written stone. Where are you located dpien? I would be interested in pure strain stellifer and any other pure form of red jewel (especially cristatus).
BTW ekona, my cristatus were pussycats but the stellifer I had for a time were nasty buggers :eek:.

Last edited:

Captain Jim

No argument on mixing strains, even though it would or could be an improvement. I promise not to mix,..will you sell/ship some of your stellifer on this promise? Dpien?

viejo

5 Year Member
I would be interested also. Captain Jim: I am diligently searching for true cristatus, I had them coming out my ears a couple of years ago.

Captain Jim

Going to pick some red jewels on Sunday morning..I'll show what I have. Possibly turquiose jewels also. Strain of reds passive compared to others I've had.

viejo

5 Year Member
I wish I had been able to breed the ones I had because they looked exactly like these - just really cool.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23681876@N06/2257046780/ - not the best photo of the species, but the one that most closely resmembles the pair I had.

Good luck with your search for them again.
I had them also. They would spawn but the eggs refused to hatch. I still suspect that these represent true cristatus but am in the minority with this assessment ;).... P.s. See my avatar.

viejo

5 Year Member
This is the fish generally accepted as true cristatus
cristatus-My pic.jpg

viejo

5 Year Member
They usually show a yellow mid-lateral stripe as shown if getting adequate yellow pigments in the diet. Probably varies with locality however. Also a large mid-body spot surrounded with yellow.
Faint vertical stripes on body.

Attachments

• DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 472

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….