• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi From Me (Graeme) + Some Questions

Graeme Hannah

Hi all, as you may tell im new here.I have a 96L tank setup with 4 double red agassiz apisto's (1 Male, 3 Female) and 12 Coral red Pencilfish. When I first put my apistos in the females started to claim there territories and defend them also.. the Male played around with 1 of them in particular and everything looked hopeful. But now my male is still always on show and looking good but my 3 females are no where to be seen.. i occasionally see them pop out but they look terrible and they dont even come out much to eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either what im doing wrong or what i can do to fix this.. i was thinking of taking the male out to maybe let the females come out without getting chased. Or the other way around, taking the females out to give them a proper feed etc. Or is there an easier solution ?..

Thanks
Hope To get to know you all soon

Graeme :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It takes about a week between laying eggs and bringing out freeswimming fry. I suggest giving them another week just to see if there are any fry. If not, then remove the male for a week or two. This gives the females time to recover from any stress he might be giving them. He'll not be so dominant once he returns.

Graeme Hannah

Thanks.. Does this sound like the behaviour of a female with eggs .. I don't see the female.. At all. I put in frozen brine shrimp.. She comes out.. Grabs a few for herself (doesn't stay out long) then goes back into where she came out of.. I can't see into where she goes. It is in behind plants and a few caves.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Doesn't sound like brood dress to me. They usually lose dark markings, except for a lateral spot, cheek stripe, and ventral fins and become much more yellow. Maybe it is stress. It wouldn't hurt to remove the male temporarily.

Todd Otterbein

Doesn't sound like brood dress to me. They usually lose dark markings, except for a lateral spot, cheek stripe, and ventral fins and become much more yellow. Maybe it is stress. It wouldn't hurt to remove the male temporarily.
Maybe try feeding frozen bloodworms or live baby brine shrimp. My fish don't care much for frozen brine shrimp or mysis. They will suck it in and spit it back out.

Graeme Hannah

Maybe try feeding frozen bloodworms or live baby brine shrimp. My fish don't care much for frozen brine shrimp or mysis. They will suck it in and spit it back out.

Have tried frozen bloodworms.. The male never even went for that haha .. Will try live brine shrimp though.. Cheers

I have moved the tank around to fix my line of sight problem and have took my male out just now.. Sent to the bad corner :) will see how things go from here.. My female actually looks a bit better already now that it can swim freely

Thanks for your advice :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….