• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Size of dwarf cichlid's

szkodnik

Hey guys ! My first post here .

Currently iam owning 112 liter planted tank with 3 Bolivian Rams (2+1 male) , in the future iam planning to upgrade into 300 liter (about 75gal) . Iam looking to add some other "big" dwarf cichlids ,and my question is which species of dwarf's grows larges ?

Iam interested only in dwarf's because the large plant will be hevily planted aswell :) - and yes iam considering angels

Post your Type for biggest dwart cichlid or share Your record holders :)

Regards Dawid

ps - sorry for my english , realy bad at typing.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
By definition, dwarf cichlids are supposed to grow no larger than 4"/10cm in total length. If you want something larger, look at some of the larger species of Laetacara (L. flavilabris, L. fulvipinnis, L. thayeri), Crenicara, 'Aequidens' hoehnei or my favorite Cleithracara maronii. You might also want to consider some of the small, but not dwarf cichlids, in the genera Gianacara, Biotodoma, and Tahuantinsuyoa. These aren't especially destrutive of planted tanks. As for my largest apisto? A. wickleri, a domestic form of A. steindachneri, which reached 5"/12.5cm total length. I haven't seen this strain in over 30 years. My largest apisto now is a male A. cf. eunotus (Shishi()ta). He is slightly over 4"/10 cm TL. I don't think this species is commercially available.

szkodnik

A. steindachneri looks nice , iam just curious - can Cacatoo males be similar size ? I red difrent opinions .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never had/seen A. steindachneri grow larger than 4"/10cm total length except for the Wickleri strain. A. cacatuoides males can grow fairly large. They can reach 4"/10cm TL if they have long caudal tips. Otherwise 3½"/9.5cm is very large for the species and only occurs in older males.

On a side note, there is a method of growing larger specimens. First start with new freeswimming fry. Feed heavily and often and do daily water changes for the first 2 month. Also keep them in warmer water. This leads to a fast initial grow rate. After 2 month slowly lower the water temperature to well below normal temperatures for the species, a few degrees above it lower lethal limit, around 68°F/20°C for most apistos. Feed carefully and frequently, and keep the tank very clean with regular water changes. At such low temperatures diseases can appear quickly because the fish's metabolism (and immune system) is very slow. It may take 3 to 4 years, but any fish that survives this long it will be a giant of its species. The reason is that fish, like most cold blooded animal, never completely stop growing although growth slows with age. Lower temperatures slow the metabolism and increase longevity in cold blooded animals. I don't recommend it. It seems rather cruel to me.

szkodnik

Yeah iam not sure i wana use this knowlage :)

Last question - ever had bolivian rams? How big did they get ?
Mine are about 6 cm atm - 1,5 y old

szkodnik

Mike whats Your opinion on keeping big group of dwarfs in tank ? The bottom size would be 150x50 cm , thinking about 3m/8f Cocatoo setup with 2 pairs of angels in the middle, and Carnegiella strigata on top . (with so many cave spawners should i get 10 coconut shels ??)

Group of Cleithracara maronii is on my mind aswell , but iam not sure about their shyness (tank would be in the middle of living room ) .

Cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You should not have a problem. 10 caves for 11 apistos? That is too few, unless you plan to cut the shells in half (20 caves). That should be OK. Also make sure that the tank has numerous visual territorial boundaries. I do not recommend Cleithacara and Scalare together. You will never see the Cleitharaca.

szkodnik

oO thats way to many caves ....

Lets make it :
- 6 bolivian rams
- 2+1 Cockatoo
- 4 angels

Btw Angles when adult wont eat the female Cockatoo ? 2 inch (5cm) is kinda small ...
I magine females beeing size of for example female guppy - am i right ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This community should work, too, if the tank is properly decorated with some defined visual boundaries. It is best to have 1½ - 2 caves/per apisto. They do not need to be as obtrusive as a coconut shell. A hollow in a piece of wood, under flat rocks, etc. will work just as well.

szkodnik

A.Macmasteri - saw couple videos of them and iam under impression that they grow quite large , am I correct ?

szkodnik

Ok got my list :)
- Nijsseni
- Macmasteri
- Steindacheri
- Cacatuoides

Either gona go for one specie , or two from this list (will they crossbreed ?)

szkodnik

Mike what is Your opinion on keeping dwarfs with Threadfin Rainbows ? Someone here suggested them as fry friendly dither .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never kept Thread-fins Rainbows with dwarfs, but many others recommend them as dithers. I don't because it's not a fish I'm interested in.
Small danios? Too active, more like manic, IMO. Their active swimming tends to disturb rather than calm apistos. Otherwise nice peaceful fish.
Killies? Many work well and many hobbyists use smaller top dwelling species as dithers.

szkodnik

Any particular killils You can recomend ? The more i think about it the more i like idea of big tank full of apistos ....

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I have some Iriatherina in a tank with young A. trifasciata, they completely ignore one another. I would expect them to be little threat to fry, as they rarely go near the substrate.

Killifish: Small Lampeye killies are schoolers, and are occasionally seen in commercial channels. They would be the best, though their behavior is somewhat frenetic like Danios. Golden Lyretails, Aphyosemion australe, are also more of a surface dweller, and fairly available, and is a relatively calm fish. Do NOT get the common Golden Panchax; these are large monsters that would not only eat fry, but may attack the adult Apistos.

Some of the new micro fish, such as Celestial Pearl Danios and their relatives, are not as hyper as regular Danios. However, they do not stay near the surface, and might be attacked by the Apistos. Boraras are pygmy species that mostly will stay near the surface, and are also not quite as active as Danios. They can also be very colorful. Another fish that is becoming more available is the Red Flame Ricefish, Oryzias woworae. They are an active schoooler with a blue body and red fins in both sexes. Max size is about an inch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….