• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some questions regarding Apistogramma norberti

fart

5 Year Member
Hi

I also got a group of Apistogramma norberti yesterday. And I have some questions.
First is the black spot on the dorsal fin is that only seen on male Apistogramma norberti ?

The mouth on the Apistogramma norberti, is big compared to other apistogramma i have, does it have something to do with what the fish eats in the wild?

Some of the Apistogramma norberti females i got had some strange black markings that i have not seen on other females, in books and online, what are they?

One of the females i got has three dark spot on and under the dorsal fin.
One with a black spot under the eye and another one a bit further back on the gill cover

The biggest male i got.
anor8_zpsed4c701a.jpg

female dark spot
anor7_zps5c8c027e.jpg

female ?
anor9_zps8ef26c68.jpg

female markings
anor2_zps974f63e3.jpg

anor3_zps1e8622a6.jpg

female dark spot
anor4_zps310b2a33.jpg

male
anor6_zps49753506.jpg

female darkspots
anor1_zps59a31524.jpg

female dark spot
anor5_zpsd5ca5017.jpg

With regards
RHD

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Those random black marks are skin parasites. They will not harm the fish, and will not be passed on to fry. The parasite has a second host, a bird that eats the fish, in order to complete its life cycle

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi

I also got a group of Apistogramma norberti yesterday. And I have some questions.
First is the black spot on the dorsal fin is that only seen on male Apistogramma norberti ?

The large black spot on the soft part of the dorsal fin is one of the diagnostic features of A. norberti. Few other apistos show it (A. hoignei is one). Both sexes exhibit it.

The mouth on the Apistogramma norberti, is big compared to other apistogramma i have, does it have something to do with what the fish eats in the wild?

A. norberti is closely related to the species of the cacatuoides-group. Like them it has larger, heavier lips. I don't think it has very much to do with food. I think that the large, bright red lips (seen on wild specimens) is used in display.

Some of the Apistogramma norberti females i got had some strange black markings that i have not seen on other females, in books and online, what are they?

One of the females i got has three dark spot on and under the dorsal fin.
One with a black spot under the eye and another one a bit further back on the gill cover

Black spot syndrome, like Ted wrote. It's not uncommon on Peruvian apistos.

fart

5 Year Member
Interesting information tjudy, is it a specific bird spices that carries the parasites?
Good that its not any danger to the fish those parasites.

The large lips are very prominent and i see they prefer frontal displays more than the tail flipping. At least so far.

Regarding the black spot on the soft part of the dorsal fin, the last picture of the female, she doesn't have the spot? is it a feature that some
A. norberti don't show?

With regards
RHD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….