• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My apisto borelli pair ;)

trueblue82

Hi guys introducing my borelli pair~

Anyone know this variant name?

watch in hd :)

20141105_181952.jpg

20141105_182400_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In general, A. borellii exhibit polymorphic populations almost everywhere in its range, so unless you know where it was collected it's not possible to give it any special name.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If this is what is now called 'Opal', it is a very poor imitation of the original strain developed in East Germany in the 70s. IMHO it isn't even that great for specimens now sold as 'Opal'. I see no red on the face nor much deep blue on the body.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A better photo. Yes, this is what people call 'Opal' now. Originally it was called the Red-cheeked morph of A. borellii. This color morph is found mixed with other color morphs in the wild, particularly in the more northern parts of borellii's range, in Brazil-Paraguay. The present day Red-cheeked/Opal morph isn't necessarily a domestic strain. The original Opal, first introduced as "A. sp. Opalita", was a domestic strain bred from the wild red-cheeked morph. Colors were enhanced with more red on the cheeks, mixed yellow and blue fins and yellow, blue, and green body color. We don't see green in the mix anymore. The original Opal/Opalita was rare in the West, but in the former Eastern Block countries it seems to have been one of the few apistos available to hobbyists. Once the Iron Curtain came down more apisto species became available to hobbyists and, like other common species (think of the Wickleri domestic form of A. steindachneri and the Pink Apisto, A. eunotus (Shahuayo)) was dropped for more exotic species.

trueblue82

wow super insightful! :)

at first the male was chasing the female when she is near sometimes and doing this weird slow moving twisted body shape stuff,probsbly trying to mate?

now the female is instead chasing the male when he gets near.

Is this their normal mating behaviour?

trueblue82

have been seeing my female hiding at an exact spot near the java fern roots for a few days already.

on closer observation,saw eggs/fries! omg!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I like them as A. borellii. The male is nicely coloured and has good fin extension. They are lovely little fish.

When I had some, the male was a yellow morph and none of the local LFS would take any of the sub-adults after the first ones, because they just didn't sell, and I ended up giving all of them (and the parents) away.

I had similar issues with A. trifasciata, but with the added problem that the males are fairly nasty to one another from quite a small size, so even growing them out was difficult.

I saw some of my A.borellii in a local shop, and to be honest I wouldn't have bought them either they were incredibly dull and "washed out" compared to how they had been at home

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks like good-quality borellii to me. No sure why Todd is referring to them as "stunted or weak" - i see no evidence of that. Maybe he's been keeping beefed-up domestic hybrids and mutant cichlids so long that he's lost any appreciation for wild-type fish.

Todd Otterbein

Looks like good-quality borellii to me. No sure why Todd is referring to them as "stunted or weak" - i see no evidence of that. Maybe he's been keeping beefed-up domestic hybrids and mutant cichlids so long that he's lost any appreciation for wild-type fish.
Didn't meen to hurt any feelings. All my fish are f1-f2. Actually most of the in breds are getting small and whimpy wild fish are large and quite beautiful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….