• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the level of oxygen demand of Dwarf Cichlid or Apistogramma?

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hii everybody,

Our dwarf cichlids or Apistogrammas are usually fed in a planted tank. Oxygen for a planted tank is not so positive. But our fish need oxygen. I wonder if our dwarf cichlids need oxygen for the air pump necessary? For our dwarf cichlids, Is it in the tank filter systems to provide sufficient oxygen?

themountain

5 Year Member
My understanding is that dwarf cichlids live in a complete plant free environment..so the oxygen level is nothing to concern about...please correct me if I am wrong.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
You right, sir. But it's natural environment. We grew plants in the tanks we use to many external factors. Therefore the oxygen level in the tank drops. I therefore provide oxygen for the fish in my tank I'm using the air pump. We just asked for dwarf cichlid filtering enough? I'm not use my aquarium air pump, will you:)?

fazil romero

just used blackwater biotope for them they like it and save bill for light elektric. i used black water they like it like they home in nature

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Our dwarf cichlids or Apistogrammas are usually fed in a planted tank. Oxygen for a planted tank is not so positive. But our fish need oxygen. I wonder if our dwarf cichlids need oxygen for the air pump necessary? For our dwarf cichlids, Is it in the tank filter systems to provide sufficient oxygen?
The original poster is mistaken, planted tanks usually have higher oxygen levels than un-planted ones, even at night. There is a more complete explanation here of the factors that effect tank oxygenation. <"Aeration and dissolved oxygen.......">.
My understanding is that dwarf cichlids live in a complete plant free environment...
Some do, some don't. An area like the Pantanal would have abundant plant cover and a range of dwarf cichlids. Both Mayland and Bork <http://dwarfcichlid.com/Book_reviews.php> and Linke and Staeck mention vegetated in their descriptions of A. trifasciata and the latter says "the biotopes for this fish was comparable in so far that the specimens were exclusively found amongst the cover provided by dense vegetation".

You can substitute other cover (leaf litter etc) for plants, but if you don't have plant you need to be better at water management (more regular, and larger volume water changes with soft low nutrient water).

cheers Darrel

Ekona

5 Year Member
Agreed with Mike. I have kept apistos in tanks without filter (bubbling , agitated water surface, current) without any apparent issues with oxygen. However, I tried the same thing with C. dimidiatus and within a day or two both were hanging near the surface and gills were working more than normal. I put in a filter and within hours they went back to normal behavior. Lesson: from this experience it would appear that it depends on the dwarf cichlid. The congochromis appear to have a higher O2 requirement than apistos; perhaps they are more rheophilic than apistos. As Mike says, if they begin to hang near the surface or if you see the gills working more than usual, get some O2 into the tank.

gerald

5 Year Member
If you are adding supplemental CO2 for faster plant growth, fish might be breathing faster than normal due to high CO2 even if there is plenty of dissolved oxygen. I try to keep at least a little water movement in all fish tanks, using either air or water pump. With no water movement the oxygen concentration near the bottom (where cichlids breed) can get very low from bacterial oxygen consumption.

MickeM

5 Year Member
One good example of one Apisto living among thriving plants(Pantanal??)..although these live in relatively low temp.. which often result in more dissolved O2 in the water!!??

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/borelli-from-natural-biotope-argentine-corrientes.14700/

And.. What about this thought..??

....A low water column (without any currents!!)- more O2 ??!!, easier for O2 to reach the bottom ??( Compared to a higher water column??)..

or is this a myth??
Since less currents probably prevent the CO2 to reach the surface and escaping from the water into the air in a more rapid way?? , but...Maybe also lead to less help for the O2 at the surface to reach the bottom??

All this is of course dependant on other factors as well !! (Amount of Detritus/restproducts +macro/microbilogical situation at that specific locality!!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….