• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I dont know if Apistogramma Panduro or Njisseni

Serguey

So like in the description I need help with these two , I got a male anx 4 females two females loom like this one the other two look totally different. I got the other two females from a store and the male and these two females from a breeder, the breeder said they were panduros , but when I bought the other females from the store I noticed they look different with the black spots problem is I wanna breed the panduros but nothinh is happening so I wondered ccold you guys help me identify if they are panduros or not. Thanks allot for incoming help
20141021_220153.jpg
20141021_215913.jpg
20141021_215840.jpg
20141021_220156.jpg
20141021_215805.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. panduro. Female panduro get the smudge on their side while female nijssenii get a spot. Male panduro also get the sky blue color (also a nick name for them) while nijssenii males are much more dirty gold in the body.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Female nijsseni have the unique large blotch, and panduro has a smaller mark similar to other Apistos. In addition, the female nijsseni gets a black blotch on the face and cheeks. I have images of nijsseni from the very early imports that show males with solid blue body color. A better way to tell males apart is to look at the anterior rays of the dorsal. Male nijsseni have no elongated rays, while panduro males have a slight elongation on a few of them.

From the photos above, the female is clearly nijsseni. The male I would be hesitant to put a positive ID from those photos.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Truthfully, the photos of the females are not good enough for me to say what species the fish are. I will add to the confusion by noting that there are 2 morphs of female A. panduro. One morph has a narrower, elongated blotch on the flanks, wider at the belly and almost reaching the base of the dorsal fin. The second morph has a more round blotch on the flanks, which extends from the belly to mid-flank. All them males show the same dark markings.

rr16

5 Year Member
Good luck with getting some more photos and identifying them. I had a male that turned out to be A. nijsseni and a female A. panduro. They still bred and produced fry!
Mike, are the two forms of the female geographically isolated, or related to the different male forms (A183/184/185) or something completely different?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike, are the two forms of the female geographically isolated, or related to the different male forms (A183/184/185) or something completely different?

The Brustband/Breastband morph was the original morph in the hobby and the female pictured in the original description. Later, the morph with a round black blotch appeared. It seems to be the more common morph in the trade now. The Brustband morph was found at the Río Tahuayo type locality by Panduros' collectors of the type material and, later, by TomC. Tom found round morph females in the Río Tamshiyacu. Tom found males of both non-striped and striped caudal fin morphs together in both rivers, so the males' caudal pattern isn't location-specific. I don't know if both female morphs appear together at one location, but so far they do not.

rr16

5 Year Member
Ooh, the speciation/radiation/variation just gets more and more interesting. I think I should swat up on all this at some point. Perhaps I best get some books on my Christmas list from the wife!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….