• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borelli female aggressive against new male

killis75

Hi all!

This is my first post and i would like to start with just to say that this is a really good forum:)!

Now to my problem...
For about 4weeks ago i bought a Female and a male. The male i got was not in good condotion and died. I have now found a new male for her. But she seems to be aggressive to him, is this normal?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I will say it's not really abnormal. A. borellii is a cichlid and like most cichlids is territorial. Once your original male died the female considered the entire tank her territory. The new male is now invading her territory. As long as the fish aren't damaging each other I'd leave them as they are and they should eventually sort things out between themselves.

killis75

Ok, i will give them some time and see if they can sort things out! But if they dont, what is the best thing to do? My thoughts is that i will remove the Female for Xdays or Xweeks and resceape the tank before i put her back!

Or is there a better way?

killis75

Pics and video on them.Male
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413813667.791522.jpg

Female
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413813716.372900.jpg

killis75

If that so, no one is happier than me:)! Thanks for input.
This is my first apist. so this behavior is all new to me!

killis75

Is chasing(Female) and fleeing(male) a part in mating ritual? Still it has only got a few days since i introduced the male! I will give it some more time before any action is taken. I cant see that any of the fish has taken any damage yet!

killis75

After todays water change one funny/strange thing happend. After a while i couldnt find the Female and the male anywere, but i finally found the Female at the opening at a cocounutcave. She swam out of there and after her the male! Nothing more happend and it seemed like if they just were checking the place out and didnt liked it. Could this be so or is there any other explanation??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….