• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Relates to the use of peat...

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello everybody..

I would use peat in the filter, or at the base of sand used me as if I would be more efficient? I would appreciate if you inform me...

Mol_PMB

I use peat to prepare new water for water-changes. I don't actually use it in the tank. I think a peat substrate could be very messy. Maybe others have tried it?

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Thank you, sir. I guess I'll try in filter. Let's see how PH will fall? Addition, Does izolit used with peat?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For me, putting peat in the tank (in filter or substrate) with the fish is 'playing chemistry set' with your fish. You have no control of the environment.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
You're right. But, I found a little hard water values in the city. In particular pH values around 8. In general, I am using water to soften for leaf and tea. however, the pH value does not fall below 7. That's why I've turned to Dwarf Acaras rather than Apisto. To do so in South American Dwarf Cichlid for production, I decided to use peat. Because, I love them. This is my only passion:)...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have no problem using peat. I just do not put it in the aquarium. I treat water with peat in a separate vat and then use the preat-treated water for water changes.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
I see, sir. This way, I think a safer way for fish. Previous answer had me a little despair. Because, I have bought me what I thought of peat:). Again, Thank you. I will use this method immediately...

joopsg

5 Year Member
I am using peat in canister filtration. ADA amazonia Aquasoil top up with sand as substrate.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Thank you, Mike. I'm using peat in 15 days, when in changes in water. As of today, the value dropped PH 6.4. I would like now to have reached, I think I can put fish in the tank. There is still a question? How long does the effect of peat? Sure, I'll check the values of permanent water course. I'm glad you still like information about it:)...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The pH value in the aquarium will remain the same until something is added to change it. Increased bioload will likely lower the pH; something in the aquarium that slowly releases buffers could raise it.

If you mean "How long will the peat cause changes in a treatment tank?", then it depends on the type of peat, the values of the water being added to the treatment tank, and how long the water is cycled through the peat. All are too variable to give a 'set' answer. Just check the water before use. Once the pH value isn't affected, it's time to change the peat for new.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Thank you, sir. I currently use my agent called "sera super peat". In addition, other significant values also dropped in my tank. Let's see how this situation I can maintain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….