• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma gephyra

Ekona

5 Year Member
It's been about 3 months since I got this pair of Gephyra and I think they are about reaching breeding size. I'm preparing a 20L aquarium for them and we'll see what happens ;)

Male
HwS2B4.jpg

Female
b8GbR1.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thank you, Frank, I think they look cool, too - so your good luck wish is well accepted :)

Ekona

5 Year Member
Placing this male in much more spacious tank with a female has transformed him - bringing out great colors and growing quite rapidly. I have witnessed this several times with aggie group apistos. Now he has taken on a metallic turquoise coloration on his sides that really was not evident just a few days ago. He is turning out to be one awesome looking apisto! He was chasing the female around quite a bit (to be expected) so I have added more leaves/caves as hiding places for the female. No sign of nipped fins, etc. I think once the female becomes gravid they will spawn ~ I hope so.
1KTQju.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
After about a week of the male chasing the female around, and of good feedings and water changes, today the female began displaying to the male and holding her ground, so to speak - possible signs a an eminent spawning.

Andrew Powell

Sorry to 'piggy back' dude.
One thing I don't understand, are some shops (Asia) I read about months ago that were selling A.Gephyra as A.Agassizii? There are a few differences quite noticeable differences between the two fish. Has anyone come across this?

Ekona

5 Year Member
The two species are closely related and share many morphological similarities - it's not too surprising that a 'shop' - or anyone for that matter - could easily confuse the two. I've usually seen it the other way around - A. agassizii being mislabeled as A. gephyra. The morphological differences, which have been described on this forum, are rather subtle and take a good eye to discern. In my experience, A. gephyra are much rarer in the hobby than A. agassizii, which is why I am very psyched to have actual gephyra (not that there is anything wrong with agassizii, of course) :)

Last edited:

Andrew Powell

The two species are closely related and share many morphological similarities - it's not too surprising that a 'shop' - or anyone for that matter - could easily confuse the two. I've usually seen it the other way around - A. agassizii being mislabeled as A. gephyra. The morphological differences, which have been described on this forum, are rather subtle and take a good eye to discern. In my experience, A. gephyra are much rarer in the hobby than A. agassizii, which is why I am very psyched to have actual gephyra (not that there is anything wrong with agassizii, of course) :)

Couldn't agree more with you mate, A.Agassizii are a cracking fish, on a different post, I posted several images of my previous male 'Double Red'. I tend to find that A.Gephyra have more of a 'rounded' caudal fin, where as A.Agassizii have more of a pointed caudal fin (not sure if you agree or not dude).

Ekona

5 Year Member
...I tend to find that A.Gephyra have more of a 'rounded' caudal fin, where as A.Agassizii have more of a pointed caudal fin (not sure if you agree or not dude).

Yep, gephyra tend to have more rounded caudal fin, from what I understand.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Could not help but share this photo - these are just such great looking apistos! This photo was taken while to the two were displaying to each other as shown in the video above. I've got to get a better video camera!

7oYFIp.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
This pair have spawned for the first time. Female is guarding one of the apisto huts. Whereas before spawning the male had her constantly hiding and on the run, now that they have spawned, she is guarding her territory and keeping him away with vigorous displaying and tail beats (see photo of the pair at feeding time with BBS).

Out of many choices (leaves, coconut caves and apisto huts, my apisto females have consistently chosen the clay huts - which seem ideal for them as spawning sites.
ze4zI2.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
You like to make us drool, don't you? Maybe I'll print these out and tape them around Mr. Splendens' tank to give him a better role model for how to treat girls.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Lol! I think apistos are a lot 'easier' fish :p than nanos. The female C. dimidiatus I have is as ripe as a melon and displays to the male all the time, but he ain't having anything to do with her - I think he needs glasses!o_O. I"ve never bred Nano/Congochomis so I'll just have to see how this unfolds, but I've read other reports of males being notoriously unimpressible (is that a word?).
Yeah, try the poster thing and that just my do the trick!

Ekona

5 Year Member
At least on this female A. gephyra in brood care coloration, there are no dark pigments on spines/anterior portion of her pelvic fins. I wonder if this is diagnostic of A. gephyra?
uxtEOD.jpg

Compare with female A. agassizii in brood care.
cX7OH0.jpg

fart

5 Year Member
Thats really good photo of the female with fry Ekona, cant see you have any problems with the settings on the camera :)

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thats really good photo of the female with fry Ekona, cant see you have any problems with the settings on the camera :)
Lol, Fart, I think I absorbed some of your photography talent by osmosis! It's the same camera (which costs less than a Canon 100mm Macro lens :eek:) and the same settings I normally use. She just happened to be right up by the aquarium glass so I was able to get a very close photo. Thanks for your settings info, BTW:)

Also, thanks for the 'likes' everyone - I really appreciate them and I'm glad you are enjoying my posts.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….