• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus filamentosus - sexing and advice?

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes I would pick your best male (best color; not necessarily biggest or dominant) to leave with her and remove the others. If she seems to have a favorite, let her pick. A school of pencilfish or small rasboras might help give them a "common enemy" and help them behave well with each other.

Mol_PMB

Yes I would pick your best male (best color; not necessarily biggest or dominant) to leave with her and remove the others. If she seems to have a favorite, let her pick. A school of pencilfish or small rasboras might help give them a "common enemy" and help them behave well with each other.

Thanks :) I'll do that. I think she does have a favourite, and it's not the dominant one!

I'll psyche myself up for some fish-catching on Saturday: the tank has lots of decor so it's not easy...
I'll put the other males in my bigger tank.

At present, the tank-mates in the Dicrossus tank are a group of 5 Farlowellas. One of the female twigs is also very plump at the moment - must be something in the water ;)

For dithers, I already have the following options (in other tanks):
- Rummy-nose tetras x 40 (both Hemigrammus bleheri and Petitella Georgiae)
- Marbled Hatchetfish x 10
- Cherry Barbs x 10
Would any of those be suitable? Alternatively I'm quite happy to get some small pencils.

Mol_PMB

A few pics from this evening showing some of the behaviours:
Sorry about the quality but the tank is gloomy and they move so fast!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867614.990694.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867629.882618.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867641.478714.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867653.311121.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867666.945796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867686.180215.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409867700.150490.jpg

Mol_PMB

When I got my six Dicrossus filamentosus chequerboard cichlids early this year, they were all small but one was tiny - only 18mm total length. I named it 'Pawn' after the smallest of the chess-pieces.

Well it turned out that 'Pawn' was the only female, and today she has achieved the rare move of reaching the other side of the chess-board and becoming the queen. Here is a photo (a very bad one, taken with my phone with no lights on) showing her guarding her newly-laid eggs this morning :)

The fish explored a number of site options including an Anubias plant, moving leaf litter around to create a den on the substrate, and some ceramic tubes. But in the end they have selected a coconut cave which I placed on top of a large smooth stone.

I wonder what will happen next? I expect I'll come home to find all the eggs have been eaten...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411109474.841801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411109485.892582.jpg

Mol_PMB

This is my first ever cichlid spawning so I might be getting over-excited - please bear with me :)

I've taken some more pics this morning, using the proper camera. These are by natural light so please forgive the reflections of my stripey dressing-gown! Natural light from the window illuminates the coconut cave much better than the tank lights, because of its position and angle.

The eggs aren't directly stuck to the surface like Cory eggs; they seem to be attached by a thread or similar, and the move slightly as Mum fans them with her fins.
So far she seems to be doing a great job of guarding and fanning them
applause3.gif

I've even seen her gently clean something off an egg with her mouth.

They've been there about 30 hours now I think - roughly how long until they might hatch? Will they find enough food in the detritus, or what should I feed when they do? I have decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, very fine 'golden pearls' and micro-worms.

What abotu water-changes? This tank is lightly-stocked and tends to have very good water quality, but I normally change about 30% weekly. Should I hold off the water change to avoid stress for now?

Attachments

• eggs_coconut.jpg
    eggs_coconut.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 454
  • eggs_coconut_2.jpg
    eggs_coconut_2.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 482
  • eggs_coconut_4.jpg
    eggs_coconut_4.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 458

merlin

5 Year Member
There may well be enough microbiology living in the leaf litter etc. But i would get a culture of microworm or similar started, hopefully some friend may have a culture going already. Then move on to newly hatched brine shrimp or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. As for time Id guess 72 hours then she will hide them for another few days. Once they are swimming about thats when you need a lot of microworm etc then brineshrimp. Read more on line about these foods.

Mol_PMB

Sadly the eggs have vanished, and she's out chasing the boys again. Hopefully they'll get the hang of it eventually!

Mol_PMB

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412025108.971235.jpg

I think they are having another go at breeding. Mrs Dicrossus is sharing her time between chasing her boys and guarding her coconut (pictured).

This evening I even saw her chase, attack and nip one of my male Farlowellas when he came a bit close to the coconut - and he is at least 6 times bigger than the feisty little Mrs Dicrossus! He backed away and munched elsewhere :)

Mol_PMB

So far I have definitely had 2 clutches of eggs from the Dicrossus, probably 3. But none have lasted more than 36 hours before being eaten.
Now the other inhabitants of the tank are spawning :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413269187.100523.jpg

Mol_PMB

I was just going to do a small water-change in this tank (planning small ones every couple of days with 36 Farlowella eggs in there) but as I approached the tank I saw a male and female Dicrossus together in the coconut cave, and the little female head-butting the side of a second male that was trying to get in on the act.

I think I'll leave that water-change a while - whatever's in there at the moment seems to make them all want to breed :)

Ekona

5 Year Member
I have not been following this thread, but I have to say nice work on the tank set-up, photos and spawnings. Some of the better photos of this species I've seen showing neat behavior. If you can spare the $ pick a better camera - I'm sure you photos would be real winners! Good luck with the spawnings and hopefully you can raise up a batch. Neat fish - now I'm gonna have to get another tank :eek::)!

Mol_PMB

I can highly recommend both the Dicrossus filamentosus and the Farlowella vittata for entertainment and appearance :)
Neither are 'easy' breeders but I'm hoping to get the hang of raising them eventually!

Mol_PMB

I must emphasise that the expertise and inspiration on this forum have been invaluable - thanks to all :)
Hopefully by documenting my experiences here I'll be able to give a little back.

Mol_PMB

A brief update:

My Farlowella vittata spawned, almost all of the eggs survived and hatched but most of the fry died in the first few days. I think they may have been predated by the Dicrossus? I have one survivor that is now a week old. I also have plans to improve their survival next time. Mum is looking tubby again so next time could be quite soon.

In the mean time, the Dicrossus have spawned again. This is (I think) their fourth time. There are more eggs, and they're laid more neatly. Mum is guarding them. All the previous batches have been eaten within 36 hours so the same may happen again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414934952.695146.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414934965.674580.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414934977.241746.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414934988.160013.jpg

Mol_PMB

The cichlid eggs are vanishing :(
But I have a new crop of twig cat eggs :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415207271.805061.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415207283.145187.jpg

I must be doing something right in this tank as both species are spawning every 3 weeks or so. Now to try and get some fry to survive (only one solitary twiglet so far).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….