• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Papagei/Pebas?

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Bought a couple wild caught Apistogramma, labelled as Papagei. Looking online I'm leaning towards Pebas. Anyone any thought looking at these phone pics (still very shy in my heavily planted tank so the best pictures I could make)

uploadfromtaptalk1410083217869.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410083235904.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's either rather uncolorful/unhappy A. sp. Papagei or A. sp. Roca Eterna. I'll know for sure when I see the female in brood dress. Papagei - 2, rarely 3 lateral spots; Roca Eterna - 4+ lateral spots.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Never heard of that species, but one of the other females in the sales tank turned yellow last week and had 6-7 spots. So Roca Eterna sound plausible.

The fish were only in the tank 3 days when I took the pictures so I hope they colour up a little. Very shy, but are becoming more bold now. Thanks Mike!

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Hi Darrel, it's a Caridina pareparensis parvidentata (MalaWa shrimp). They can eat all they want, in fact I hope they do (good protein), I got hundreds of them in a very heavily planted tank, so I don't think they will ever get them all:) With 4 Dicrossus in there and 2 ramirezis the number of shrimps still increased. As long as they stay away from my Amano shrimp (my Nannacara didn't) I'm fine with it!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi Darrel, it's a Caridina pareparensis parvidentata (MalaWa shrimp). They can eat all they want, in fact I hope they do (good protein), I got hundreds of them in a very heavily planted tank, so I don't think they will ever get them all
Excellent, send them over to the UK. Are they all right at lower pH values?

cheers Darrel

Yo-han

5 Year Member
They're all right in anything! I kept them in a Wabi-Kusa bowl with only a few centiliter water, temperature is between 20 celcius at night and over 40 when the sun hits the bowl. The water in their was very soft and acidic at the end of the week and I changed it with cold hard tap water, they didn't mind. Only time I killed a few was when the bowl ran dry, so they do need water:p

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hmm. The female definitely looks like A. sp. Pebas, based on the shape of the caudal patch. Male A. sp. Pebas almost always show some rows of spots somewhere on the caudal fin, which neither A. sp. Papagei nor A. sp. Roca Eterna show. Does your male ever show spots on the tail?

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Ok, but this female was way larger than the other females and even bigger than most males so I 'm not sure they are all from the same shipment. Here a better picture of my male and female:
uploadfromtaptalk1410687776777.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1410687785506.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1410687806169.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1410687822903.jpg

Are these more clear?

Yo-han

5 Year Member
More pictures from the male and female:
uploadfromtaptalk1411307226125.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411307251278.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411307322075.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411307352392.jpg

If these are still not helpful, please do tell what is important to show in the photo besides black markings...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female looks like A. sp. Pebas; the male like A. sp. Putumayo. Am I absolutely positive? No. If you want a better ID from me I'd need to see these fish with all of their dark markings showing at one time. Unfortunately, the best way to see this is preserve in ethanol.

ADC Nederland

They look like Sp. Papagei to me but Mike is way more experiences at ID-ing then me... But from what I can tell from the photos and the comparisons that I can make to the Papagei I had, it looks to be Papagei.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Or like in the other thread, it is an Apistogramma ortegai (Papagei form). Both male and female seem to match with C and D.

ADC Nederland

Yeah, to me it's still Papagei since non of my suppliers have updated the names yet, but the new name is indeed Apistogramma ortegai, or so the powers that be say...

I have some Videos of my Papagei, maybe that will help you.

Part 1:
Part 2:

Yo-han

5 Year Member
The female is starting to show breeding colors. The beautiful thing about this female is that she shows red and blue in her anal and dorsal fin as well. Barely visible at the photo.

Tried to capture the male black markings as well. Did this by making him flare with a mirror:
(Note the long fins!)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413900102121.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413900102121.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 551
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413900251107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413900251107.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 582
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413900264245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413900264245.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 563

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Although ADC Nederland's videos aren't ideal for identification, from what I see, I would say that Yo-han's specimens are from the same mix or location. Neither look like the 'real' A. ortegai (Papagei form). Females of A. ortegai, in brood dress, will show only 2 flank spots, while females of A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) and A. cf. ortegai (Roca Eterna) show 4 (or more) flank spots. This is the easiest way to separate A. ortegai from the other forms/species.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….