• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting my ph down

chris1805

5 Year Member
I am trying to get my ph down but it's not really working, currently my ph is about 7.0-7.3 and my Kh is about 5.5 and working it down to about 3-4. The problem is the water from the tap is ph 8.3 with a kh of 11. I' ve got an osmose water installation which gives me water of a ph of 6.7-7 and a kh of about 0.5. The problem is i have to mix this with my tap water and i would like to get my ph down to about 6.3 and this is even lower than the osmose water. I already have 2 pieces of wood in my tank, a few oak leaves and i have peat in my filter. Does anyone have some suggestions to get my ph down?
I have a 120 liter tank with a 60x40x60 cm size.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your reverse osmosis produces water at 0.5° dKH, run the water through sphagnum peat in a separate vat. The pH should drop well below pH 6. Then you can mix this water with a little tap water until you get the pH value you want.

gerald

5 Year Member
Sphagnum is the name of the moss that creates the peat in bogs when it dies. However "peat" is also used to describe partially decomposed leaves of other plants too, so "peat" that you buy in a garden supply shop may or may not be Sphagnum peat depending on where it was harvested.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some people put peat in their filters. I do not. It is much harder to control water values this way. You are just playing chemistry set with a tank full of fish.

Mol_PMB

I agree with Mike - I filter the water through peat before it goes in the tank. It's very quick to test the new water for pH and TDS to make sure it's not going to be a shock to the fish.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Sorry for my late reaction forgot about the post was kinda busy with my university but okay, Already filtering with peat in it, and it's good to control so far. I won't put in some more peat than, what kh is acceptable? I hear people with a kh of about 0 but that's really unstable right? I have my kh at 3 at the moment.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
what kh is acceptable? I hear people with a kh of about 0 but that's really unstable right? I have my kh at 3 at the moment.
If you mean pH becomes unstable? You can largely ignore pH variations in very soft water. Unless you want to breed extreme black water species 3 dKH should be fine.

If you have a TDS meter you can just cut your RO with tap to give you ~50 microS. (~30ppm TDS). If you have fish that need softer water to breed as the others have said you can just use pure RO filtered through sphagnum peat.

Have a look at: <"RO water open to debate....."> & <"Another peat filtration question">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….