• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

info about establishing a caca tank needed.

Mr. Friendly

essentially I want to have a tank that can hold at least 3 caca's. I don't want fry, but I'm not sure I will successfully get males. what do I do if I get fry?

I say 3, because I've read they do better as a trio than a single or pair. I had a 20gal previously with a pair of Bolivian rams, two otto's and a school of neon's. my two ram's seemed to have been okay. I organized the tank in such a way that they could each stake out a territory, one on each side, with large rocks and driftwood, creating caves. I also had live plants to break it up too. but that was 10 years ago and a lot of new information is available. I just don't know where to look or read, so I'm hoping to be referred to reading material as well as be given pointers/tips based on real life experience.

lastOne

5 Year Member
If by trio you mean 1m+2f then If the conditions are right you are bound to have fry. You can always sell/donate them.

regani

5 Year Member
A good starting point for getting some info is here at http://dwarfcichlid.com/index.php
You can keep individual males, they'll be fine. As pointed out above if the conditions are halfway right you are bound to get fry if you have a male with one or two females. If you don't want to raise the fry you can keep the pair in a community tank with some tetras, many of which are good fry predators. You run a risk though that the fry may not be the only casualties as the female apistos don't pull punches when defending their fry, but tetras and other agile fish are usually fast enough to get out of the danger zone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….