• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. America WTB The Common Minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus)

Ekona

5 Year Member
This is a definite stretch, but I am wondering if it would be at all possible for someone on this forum who lives in Europe to obtain the Common Minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus) and ship some to USA. From what I can tell this minnow is abundantly common in EU, but not sure of it's exact ranges and occurrences. The breeding coloration of this species is quite spectacular.

There is a fellow in Scotland who ships tropical fish with a great deal of success to USA , but he does not have the common minnow at this time. I think it takes about one week for his fish to arrive at their destinations in the States from Scotland. I'm thinking it may be possible to ship a few of these minnows when it gets a little cooler to USA, but not sure. Any thoughts?

I have collected many USA native minnows and have successfully spawned them on several occasions.

Thanks!

Ekona

5 Year Member
I wonder if it is even legal to sell wild fish native to most European countries.
I was not sure about that, thus my question if it was possible and if anyone had any thoughts/input on it - if it is not legal in UK to sell native fish, then of course it won't happen and my request is null. Thanks for the input.

It's illegal in the US.
Are you saying its illegal to sell US native fish within the US?
Licences are obtainable for the collection and selling of native fishes within the US.

gerald

5 Year Member
If they are farmed as baitfish in Europe then it might be legal to get farmed minnows. Just guessing; I know nothing about UK/Europe regs on exporting native fish. I dont think there's any US law prohibiting European minnows, although various US states may have bans on certain species. For example Rudd is illegal in NC. I can get you Phoxinus oreas (recently renamed Chrosomus oreas) if a European minnow connection doesn't materialize. Or better yet, come on down and we'll go catch some. I'm guessing they may be more heat-tolerant than P. phoxinus.

viejo

5 Year Member
I have seen a price list of European fishes for sale, it may even have it on my external hard drive. Will check on it this weekend. The actual logistics on this would be a bugger but probably do-able if you can locate a shipper. As Gerald stated, most fishes are restricted on a state level. Where are you located? BTW: I did take a look on Aquarium Glaser's site but no joy there.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I have seen a price list of European fishes for sale, it may even have it on my external hard drive. Will check on it this weekend. The actual logistics on this would be a bugger but probably do-able if you can locate a shipper. As Gerald stated, most fishes are restricted on a state level. Where are you located? BTW: I did take a look on Aquarium Glaser's site but no joy there.
Thanks, veijo, it would be interesting to see what's on a EU list. Yes the logistics could be an issue, and considering the regs issue it is probably just not a go. Thanks for checking up on it, though. There are so many interesting species available here in US - but I must say the Common Minnow really looks great when fully in color.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Minnows (Phoxinus phoxinus) are definitely for sale in the UK <http://www.carpco.co.uk/other-pond-fish-c-31.html>.

I had a go at keeping them back in the 1970's, but without much luck (I was a bit more successful with "3 spined Stickleback" (Gasterosteus aculeatus)). Minnows were easy to feed (they will eat dried food, whilst Sticklebacks don't), but they never survived the warm weather.

In the UK they normally come from reasonably flowing fairly clean rivers (mine came from the Wye in Herefordshire), so they probably have quite a high oxygen requirement. Spanish minnows might be better.

cheers Darrel

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thanks for the link, Darrel, very interesting to see.
In looking for US native alternatives to the Common Minnow, I noticed that three spine stickle backs can become very color and a possible alternative indeed.
Best,
Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….