• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto Elizabethae

fredmir1

5 Year Member
I spawn around 25 apisto Elizabethae
They grown to young adults around 10 month s and it look like they get Ulcer on the side of there body and then die
What could be causing this
george

gerald

5 Year Member
Probably a bacterial infection, Mycobacterium is one possibility and is common in dwarf cichlids. Besides ulcers on the body and head, other symptoms of "Myco" can include jaw deterioration, eyes bulging, abdominal swelling, rapid breathing, spine bending, weight loss, paralysis of jaw or fins, and loss of body color control. Of course many of these symptoms can occur with other diseases too, or from old age. If head/body ulcers tends to happen on a few fish at a time over several months or years, rather than all at once, then I'd suspect Mycobacterium.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
It generally takes 30 days and require vitamin B-6 supplement. The disease can spread to human and manifest as a skin disorder through a cut or opening on the skin.

gerald

5 Year Member
Wethumbs - Treat with what for 30 days? And how ... in food or water? I assume you are referring to treating fish rather than humans, right?

It generally takes 30 days and require vitamin B-6 supplement. The disease can spread to human and manifest as a skin disorder through a cut or opening on the skin.

Diana Walstad has some good info on understanding and managing Mycobacterium in fish tanks here:
http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388mycoarticle1.pdf

Myco adheres to surface film and can accumulate on glass and tubing above the water line, and has a waxy coating, so meds dissolved in the water may not get it. Even using bleach it takes a longer exposure to kill it than other bacteria, due to the hydrophobic coating.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Treatment is for fish of course, this is after all a fish forum. Certain type of water-soluble antibiotic has been known to be effective against it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….