• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Blue Ram Sexing

Bercey

I picked up some GBR's from the LFS and I'm not so sure if I received a male and a female.

I've looked around on Google for the differences in the sexes and I'm not really able to tell what I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fish 1:
usubadud.jpg

Fish 2:
a8edy5e9.jpg

Both:
5azehu9a.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't see any metallic scales in the middle of the humeral spot, so I would say they are both males. The photos are ideal. Do you see and metallic scales in the middle of the spot at any time?

Chromedome

5 Year Member
To my eyes they appear to be two males. Females generally have reddish bellies from a fairly young age.

abrooks12376

Im seeing a hint of pink and the blue spot forming in the closest, also the dorsal fin would point to f.. notice the def males first few points and white tips..

Bercey

Thanks for the help so far, but I also took a couple more pictures that might make it easier to tell:

Male?
a2u7u7u8.jpg

Female?
u3amy6e8.jpg

The only thing is, the fish I believe to be the male, has a belly that is more pink whereas the fish I believe to be the female doesn't really have a pink belly at all.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't see any metallic scales in the middle of the humeral spot, so I would say they are both males. The photos are ideal. Do you see and metallic scales in the middle of the spot at any time?

Sorry, I should have written that "the photos are not ideal".

Color is not a diagnostic feature in Rams - especially in domestic, color enhanced, strains. Dorsal fin height is also highly variable among the sexes. I've only found the location of metallic scale in the humeral spot to be reliable. I still see no individual metallic scales in the middle of the humeral spot, so that makes me believe that the photos show males. Photos sometimes don't show the whole picture (no pun intended!), so I could be wrong.

Bercey

Sorry, I should have written that "the photos are not ideal".

Color is not a diagnostic feature in Rams - especially in domestic, color enhanced, strains. Dorsal fin height is also highly variable among the sexes. I've only found the location of metallic scale in the humeral spot to be reliable. I still see no individual metallic scales in the middle of the humeral spot, so that makes me believe that the photos show males. Photos sometimes don't show the whole picture (no pun intended!), so I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I brought them back to the LFS and traded them in for a pair of electric blues they had in.

Malefactor2000

Thanks for the help so far, but I also took a couple more pictures that might make it easier to tell:

Male?
a2u7u7u8.jpg

Female?
u3amy6e8.jpg

The only thing is, the fish I believe to be the male, has a belly that is more pink whereas the fish I believe to be the female doesn't really have a pink belly at all.

I've been doing this for the past 6-8 months. Sexing German Blue Rams successfully. Here's the secret, because as Mike Wise has mentioned. A lot of the sex traits have been bred in and out of both of the sexes. The Spot in the middle is not a good indicator, nor are the dorsal fins. Pink belly may not show up for the females... Yet to see a male who has one though - so if you see that, definitely female.

The primary way i can tell that's proven 100% for me thus far... The pectoral fins. Males will have longer pointed pectoral fins while the females will be more rounded almost a complete triangle. The top one looks to be a female and bottom one a male to me. The way to tell is when they are sideways to you. If they're pectoral fins are clamped against the underside of their belly. Males will go halfway to fully across their anal fin, while females will stop right at are barely into the anal fin at all. That's been the only sure fire way for me to tell thus far, but it hasn't led me wrong yet.

RheaDellaVera

I recently purchased a “German blue ram” as that was what it was labeled as however recently I’ve noticed it’s starting to look like maybe a golden ram cross breed as it’s black spot seems to be fading I was curious the sex tho at first I believed male but now the recent coloration in it has me confused any help??

Attachments

• BC9F681C-79CB-49AA-B26A-F4585347A22B.jpeg
    BC9F681C-79CB-49AA-B26A-F4585347A22B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 612
  • A2CC97AD-3027-44DF-8696-B91D577D308A.jpeg
    A2CC97AD-3027-44DF-8696-B91D577D308A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 413
  • 229946A8-87FA-40B6-8921-28E29C8C2E1E.jpeg
    229946A8-87FA-40B6-8921-28E29C8C2E1E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 412

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….