• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anybody have experience keeping Laetacara Araguaiae (Buckelkopf?)

Henry Daniel

Thinking of adding one (two?) to my 12 gal tank which already contains five Laubuca Dadibujori (Dadios) and two Black Phantom Tetras. Are they hardy? Are they good eaters (flake and freeze dried)? Can also provide frozen food. Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
L. araguaiae are wonderful, peaceful (when not defending fry), and undemanding fish. Once acclimated to a tank they are extremely hardy, like all dwarf acaras. They happily eat any aquarium food you offer. The only down side that I see is that they are rather robust even at 3.5"/9cm. A 12 gallon tank might be a bit small. Still they are worth a try.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I rather loved mine, except for having to rearrange the tank once the fry were gone. The male was relentless against the female, despite having mopani wood from one length of the 20 gallon Long to the other and plants scattered all through it. I think next time I'll go with a 30/40 breeder size.

I'll agree outside of breeding they were quite peaceful, but when breeding they can decimate a tank rather quickly if it's too small.

Mine were greedy little pigs that ate everything and would even beg for food like larger cichlids at times. They do seem to be a little more nitrate sensitive than say L. dorsigera or L. thayeri ime.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….