• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Measuring pH in soft water

Ttw

5 Year Member
It is sometimes difficult to get a good reading of pH with a meter such as the Hanna in soft water. I have heard that the situation can be improved by adding a little NaCl to the water. When I do this , the pH changes. Is this a legitimate way to more accurately measure the pH?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Paging our resident water chemistry experts. From what I remember in college, adding a bit of NaCl should not effect the pH. I'm not sure if it will help in getting a more accurate pH reading...

regani

5 Year Member
If you are adding salt, make sure it is pure NaCl. The commercial table salts contain anti-caking agents. As the salt is relatively unrefined it may also contain carbonate or bicarbonate which will affect the pH. Adding pure NaCl will not change the pH.
Alternatively you can try to get some potassium chloride (KCl) which generally does not contain problematic impurities.

And yes, it will get a more accurate pH reading

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….