• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma erythrura?

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
While looking up apistos that Jeff had on his list, this picture came up under Apistogramma agassizii Alenquer Red Tail during a Google Search. The website it is from lists it as Apistogramma erythrura, but doing a search under that name shows apistos that don't look much like this little guy. This seems to be the only pic that comes up under the name. Is it a specific location? Line bred? Washed out due to lighting/flash?

I actually like the kind of grey blue coloration, and it makes the red tail stand out more than the other pics of A. erythrura that comes up. Still new to apistos, so be kind! ;)

Website: http://www.apistogramma.israquarium.co.il/ApistoABC.html

Apistogramma_erythrura.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, the photo, above, is the red-tailed color morph of A. erythrura and looks similar to fish caught in the wild. Without seeing the fish in question, my guess is that "Apistogramma agassizii Alenquer Red Tail" is a domestic strain. I have never seen a specimen or photo of a specimen of a wild A. cf. agassizii Netz (Alenquer) with a red tail. The only true wild Red Agassizii are found in populations of the A. agassizii holotype form, from tributaries of the upper Amazon between the Rio Iça in Brazil (= Río Putumayo in Colombia/Peru) and the Río Ampiyacu in Peru. Dr. Staeck shows a photo of a specimen of a "male of the red/yellow domestic form of Apistogramma agassizii" in his book Cichliden-Lexikon, Teil 3: Südamerikanische Zwergbuntbarsche. Based on body shape & fin length, my guess is that the fish is a cross between a domestic Red Agassizii and an A. cf. agassizii Netz form. It's possible that Jeff's fish are similar.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on body shape & fin length, my guess is that the fish is a cross between a domestic Red Agassizii and an A. cf. agassizii Netz form. It's possible that Jeff's fish are similar.

Yes, I believe the agassizii Alenquer Red Tail are a crossed out fish. Lots of yellow in the body, wide dark lateral line strip, and a bright red tail. Very nice display tank fish.

I also HAD some red tail form A. erythrura that looked like the fish in this thread ad I should have some more coming next week. A few of the "females" were actually young males so the handful of pairs I had went quick and I also sold the lone males.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I was more interested in the A. erythrura than the A. agassizii honestly. Most of the other pics on google of A. erythrura had the red tail but a more patterned and cream colored body. Wasn't sure if the above pic was taken with a blue camera filter or not. All the other pics look like the one from Tom's site:

apistogramma-erythrura.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
TomC's photo, which you posted above, looks like the A. erythrura that comes from the middle Guaporé area. Both A. erythrura and A. trifasciata from this region tend to be more yellow, especially above the lateral band. Red- and blue-tailed forms are commonly found together throughout its range. The odd thing I see on the photo of the israquarium specimen is the lack of the red opercular patch. I think that this is a domestic fish that has lost much of its natural color. I agree with you. It looks like it was 'photoshopped' toward the cool side of the color spectrum.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike, I had a feeling something was off with it since it was the only pic I could find that looked like that on the web.

You know what they say ... If it looks too good to be true and it's not A. sp. miua, then it's probably not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….