• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what for my new project?

tom prakash

I have a 24x15x15 tank with lots of litter and wood. I want to breed apisto I have had cacs and aggies before and want something different.

regani

5 Year Member
Well, the tank is big enough for all apistos. What is your water like (GH, KH, pH)? This may limit the species selection somewhat. Otherwise it may depend on what is locally available or can be shipped easily. Where are you based?

regani

5 Year Member
The elizabethae will require really soft and acidic water to do well, especially if you want to breed them. The trifasciata are less demanding, they readily bred for me in water with 250uS and pH 6

regani

5 Year Member
Depending on the layout of the decorations and shelters in the tank you could try two females and a male but a single pair would probably be the safer option.
With the choice of dithers/target fish you will have to make sure they aren't eating the fry. Most pencil fish are a safe option, most tetras aren't. Green neon tetras seem to work if you want tetras. Catfish in general won't be good.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"Was thinking of going open top so hatchets may be out" I think Hatchets are definitely out (of the tank that is). All the Pencil fish I've kept have tended to jump as well. Often the fish are fine until they start spawning, and then sub-dominant males and un-receptive females are at particular risk.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"Thinking trifasciata then would a pair and some dithers be ok or should I go a trio." With trifasciata I would get as many females as you have room for, as the males are strongly polygamous and really harass un-receptive females. Also if you have fry the males fight with each other from quite a young age, so you need more space to grow them out, even though they are a small Apistogramma species.

cheers Darrel

tom prakash

Thanks darrel. I think I could have a trio but will see once tank is built and aquascaped. I have other tanks for growing on fry.

tom prakash

Went to tropical waters today and have decided that I may go for Bitaeniata as they had a lovely orange form in but the build isnt ready yet.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….