• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Using the anal fin to sex Dwarf Cichlids

jumpmaster

Can the anal fin be used to to sex Dwarf Cichlids? Is this a constant or will it change from breed to breed. For example, my Thomasi (which I feel is a female) has a rounded anal fin and she has a rounded belly - like she is full of eggs. One of me other Thomasi does not have a rounded belly and a pointed anal fin. I am tryng to get a photo, but she won't co-operate

jumpmaster

It really depends on the species - and their maturity. I think you need to read a good book or two on dwarf cichlids.;)

I agree completely, I am at the start of my fish keeping journey. I have "fallen in love" with dwarf cichlids. At the moment, I have 1 macmasteri, 4 thomasi, 1 bolivian ram, and 10 laetacara cuviceps

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Maybe you will discover a new way to sex them. I came up with a way to read pleco poop to determine when to switch their diet, I believe the art of reading pleco poop is the key to keeping and breeding them. Kind of like Tasseography where one can predict the future by reading tea leaves.

Mol_PMB

I've been reading my pleco poop since you mentioned it :) the tip about stringy poo indicating too much protein is really helpful.

When I feed red (sweet/bell) peppers to my L244s, the poop comes out red and the little Dicrossus think it's a bloodworm treat. They are so disappointed...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399184327.565911.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
My L46s get super thin poop when they get too much protein. They are like hair thin. I have to switch them to other food to get some good solid poop out of them from time to time.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….