• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding A.cacatuoides, what size cave?

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I have a group of A.Cacatuoides Gold TripleReds coming and want to add a few caves for them but would like to keep it somewhat natural looking since it will be going into my planted tank.

I have been looking at the breeding caves offered by cichlidbreeding.com and think the breeding rocks would look great in my tank but would like to know what size should I get and what size opening?

I was thinking maybe 2-3 of these.......Fish Breeding Rock Style 1620 Small Hole.
Size:
4.75" Long
3.50" Wide
3.75" Tall
One Hole Design
Hole is 1.50" x 1.00"
All measurements are approx.

here's my tank, 30g long that was finished planting two days ago.
plant011.jpg

STOKER

5 Year Member
You want a hole size as small as posible i use about 3/4 inch diameter , that seems to work , but even that may be to large.

Mike :)

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
So the size of the cave itself is good? So I should look for a cave with a smaller opening approx 1" or so is good right? What dimensions should I go for what is favored bt the apisto's?

I tossed the idea of a moss covered cave/cocnut but I think that a rock looking cave would look better in my tank. I also like the looks of those rock caves too.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply.

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Ok I found another rock cave that would look nice in my tank and here are the measurements.

Fish Breeding Rock Group - Set of Four Stones.
Details

You are ordering one set of four Fish Breeding Stones.
Fish Breeding Stones are very natural looking. Made of tank safe ceramic.
Adds natural look structure to your aquarium.
Great stackable design.
Made to give small fish a place to hide.
Sizes:
Stone #1
3.75" Long
2.50" Wide
2.00" Tall
One Hole Design
Hole is .50†Round
Stone #2
3.75" Long
2.50" Wide
1.50" Tall
Two Hole Design
Holes are .50†Round
Stone #3
3.00" Long
3.00" Wide
2.00" Tall
Two Hole Design
Holes are .50†Round
Stone #4
2.00" Long
2.50" Wide
1.25" Tall
Two Hole Design
Holes are .50†Round

All measurements are approx

are the size of these appropriate? the openings all seem to be 1/2" big so would that work for the apisto.cacatuoides? Does the male need to get into the cave as well to fertilize the eggs?

STOKER

5 Year Member
The male does not need to be in the cave to fertilize the eggs, theory states that he fans his milt into the cave?? to fertilize the eggs , remember that in the wild they spawn in the leave litter so the CAVE is small in size with a hole that is only big enough for the female to enter . Some females may even close off the entrance after spawning , so to a certain extent the smaller the entrance hole the better as long as she can get in.

Mike :)

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, I ended up ordering the rock caves I posted below and hopefully my caca's arrive tomorrow.

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Was wondering, could keep one male with 3 females in my 30g?

Right now I have 2males and 5females in the tank but it has become clear which male dominates but the females seem to follow whoever.

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
I guess it doesn't matter much now on the ratio cause I have one female guarding eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOKER

5 Year Member
congrats , one down and a few more to go . I also have females guarding eggs and another one going through the motions.

Mike :) :)

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
Thanks!!!!

Will the male breed with the other females while this one is protecting? I have a second male in the tank but they stay on opposite sides of the tank, you guys think they will be fine together or should I remove him? I have four caves coming for these guys so hopefully I won't have to get rid of any females.

STOKER

5 Year Member
You may be safer to remove the extra male , might even be worth setting up a second tank as a breeding set-up. As long as the females have a territory of their own ie at each end of the tank you should have no problems , in other words out of sight out of mind.

Mike :) :)

anish dilip gurjar

I have 1 male and 2 females of A. cacatuoides....
they enter in clay pots randomly but not breeding at all.
this is going since last two months....

help me for exact setup of breeding tank and guide me for any triggers to breed those trio.
is there any trigger which induce breeding ???

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They might not be breeding for many reasons, poor water conditions/values, inadequate diet, tank substrate/decoration, tank mates, etc. You really don't give us enough information. The best breeding cave is the one the female prefers, obviously. If your male can enter the cave, then its opening is much larger than really needed. The opening only needs to be large enough for the female to enter.

john melling

I have the same Apisto's, anish dilip gurjar

I keep my holding/breeding tank simple but natural, small coconut cave, a live plant. temp about 25-28, feed live foods brine shrimp etc as well as flake.
Had them since last week of February and just got a 2nd batch as of 14\4\14, both batched of babies\eggs were in my 112 litre with all other fish.
And removed the coconut when I checked for eggs into a net with mother, then after a couple of weeks move them into my 30 litre holding/breeding tank.
feed them liquifry, No 1 and 3, and rotifers, and now micro flakes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….