• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus gladicauda

Mol_PMB

Thanks. I need mine to grow a bit more then :)

Yesterday I fed my young pleco some red pepper, and now my little Dicrossus are mightily disappointed that what looks like bloodworm is actually pleco poo! They did try to eat it :/
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933743.763702.jpg

I think I'll go to the LFS later and get them some real bloodworms...

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Aquarium Glaser already turn pennies into gold by call them D. gladicauda. This is not the first or the last time Glaser pulled a fast one on everyone. They were doing it to the pleco community earlier by sorting out a group of pleco based on the patterns and way overcharging them as something else (which they were not) and got a lot of people upset with them. When the experts started to question the IDing of the pleco, the truth came out that A. Glaser was doing some 'special' cherry picking.

merlin

5 Year Member
Well the gladicauda turned out to be filamentosus, shame but look at the pics of my dominant male and he is worthy of keeping in any fish room. I was surprised by the length of the caudal filaments. Having never kept these I am fascinated watching the male chase the other male and 3 females around. Just hoping for a breeding now.

Attachments

• _DSC0640-lores.jpg
    _DSC0640-lores.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 502
  • _DSC0641-lores.jpg
    _DSC0641-lores.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 474
  • _DSC0621-lo-res.jpg
    _DSC0621-lo-res.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 446

merlin

5 Year Member
Wethumbs. That was the surprising thing about these fish. They only cosy €6 each. So there was no overcharging going on.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Wow! Those are extremely long indeed. 1 of my males still has a long and a short filament. (Perhaps half blood gladicauda:p) The other two long ones. See sloppy phone pics:
uploadfromtaptalk1397562801164.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397562821297.jpg

Yo-han

5 Year Member
A little update: I got my first eggs:) Came home and saw one of the females with blood red fins. She laid eggs on an Anubias leave:
uploadfromtaptalk1410076843477.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1410076854803.jpg

Never looked into breeding checkerboards before. I let this one go, and read up asap. Not sure which one is the dad, the filamentosus or the half gladicauda (only a small tip on the bottom filament)

Mol_PMB

Great :)

Do the blood red fins mean that she has laid?

Mine got them recently (see pic attached near the substrate) but I haven't seen any eggs. I have also seen both her and one of the males trying to dig in the sand by wiggling their bellies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410080868.299882.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410080882.297864.jpg

One of the males seems to be guarding a lair in the bottom corner of the tank.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Yes, red fins mean she is ready to breed.
Funny thing is that my checkerboards are wild caught (most likely) and that I read they only breed in very soft acidic water. My tank is just a community tank, mainly focussed on aquascaping. Parameters for everyone who likes to know: KH 7, pH 6.6 - 7.6 (CO2 controller so 6.6 during the day, 7.6 at night). NO3 20-30 (added as salt) PO4 5-10 (added as salt) EC 400-450.
Using tapwater with KH 7 pH 7.7-7.8 NO3 < 1 PO4 0 EC250-300 changing 50% weekly.

Eggs survived the first night and the female is heavily defending them against other fish (though she didn't charged my finger).

Mol_PMB

Thanks! Mine are in soft acidic water (pH 5.5, TDS 50, KH <0.3). They have only just reached maturity and seem keen to breed.
They share the tank with some Farlowella vittata and the female twig cat is gravid at the moment too :)

Yo-han

5 Year Member
And here is a picture from the dad. Note the lower filament of the caudal fin which never developed. At first I thought it was chewed of by the other male but this is the alpha male and it never got longer or shorter. But it is a little pointed unlike the photos I've seen of gladicauda tail fins on the internet.

uploadfromtaptalk1410096148222.jpg

Mol_PMB

I have also one with a very short bottom filament and a long top one. But like yours, it's not rounded as a gladicauda.

I took your hint of an Anubias plant - I moved one from another tank into a quiet corner of the Dicrossus tank, and have seen the male and female exploring it together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….