• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chrom. bitaeniatum CI2014

Ekona

5 Year Member
Male WC Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum. ~1.25" Should develop much longer fins as it grows out.
fns6.jpg

"One of these days I'll get a better camera"

Ekona

5 Year Member
Since you started it...:)

Male Aphyosemion primigenium "GEB 94-21" ,
(I have not tested it with any Apisto yet ).

HaHa! Nice, I like that form the best (rather than the 88/10).
Even though this thread is called "African Tankmates", I don't necessarily keep small fish like killis with cichlids, but if one wants to, they can create a biotope aquarium with naturally occurring sympatric species. Good luck with your primies :)

Chromedome

5 Year Member
The bitaeniatum populations from further inland often have shorter fin extensions even when mature, and the color pattern of that fish suggests that it is not from any of the common coastal populations. Often populatins such as Umudike are more difficult to breed than the Lagos or Ijebu Ode types. Being a commercial import, it is impossible to say exactly where that population originated.

Personally, I prefer some of the Cameroon species of Chromaphyosemion. Recently obtained a relatively new one, Sp. Route de Dehane. Considered undescribed, found in the middle of the range of loennbergi. I've been getting a few eggs from them.
Chr sp Route de Dehane male.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
I may add some more pics here soon..

Bought myself a couple of Chromaphyosemion volcanum "Mbonge" a week ago...

Nice pic !!! I have seen this "Sp. Route de Dehane" on some web auctions..
Did you by them as Sp. Route de Dehane ??

Last edited:

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Nice pic !!! I have seen this "Sp. Route de Dehane" on some web auctions..
Did you by them as Sp. Route de Dehane ??

Yes, I picked them up in February at a local Killie show, source was very dependable. I used to be very big on Chromaphyosemion, but hadn't been following it for several years. When I got these I tried to do a little research, found that they've made a real mess of the splendopleure types. I knew it was headed in that direction, but not to the extent that it has gone.

Didn't really mean to hijack Ekona's thread, sorry!

Ekona

5 Year Member
The bitaeniatum populations from further inland often have shorter fin extensions even when mature...
Thanks for that tip!;)

...and the color pattern of that fish suggests that it is not from any of the common coastal populations.
I'd say the color pattern on the BIT CI2004 posted above looks, to my eyes, rather similar to the classic (coastal) Lagos or Ijebu Ode forms, judging by the various images on the web. But, of course, only time will tell what this one develops into.

Often populatins such as Umudike are more difficult to breed than the Lagos or Ijebu Ode types.
Would be great to see actual Umudike BIT photos here :).

Being a commercial import, it is impossible to say exactly where that population originated.
I'd have to agree with that...;)

Personally, I prefer some of the Cameroon species of Chromaphyosemion. Recently obtained a relatively new one, Sp. Route de Dehane. Considered undescribed, found in the middle of the range of loennbergi. I've been getting a few eggs from them.View attachment 3055
Nice! Neat fish and photo, glad you having success with them.:)

I like C. loennbergii as well:)
00qd.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Ekona + all..

Unfortunately my Mbonge are still in the quarantine tank..pics will have to wait..

But I can show some other pics of African killie fishes..

Diapteron cyanostictum from Gabon (I think??), still juveniles..(1-1,5 cm)

/MickeM

Attachments

• 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 726
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    516.4 KB · Views: 654
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 668
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    554.7 KB · Views: 705

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"Diapteron cyanostictum".

Another lovely Killi, are they difficult to keep? I'm always very tempted by Diapteron spp. but I only want to keep fish I've got some hope of breeding.

cheers Darrel

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Darrel + all..

In my opinion, most Diapteron species (or Aphyosemion/Chromaphyosemion) are not very difficult to keep or breed..

Some of them lives in "cold" rivers, running from higher plateaus. ( In wintertime I think my tank-temp. is approx. 20 Celsius.)

I keep my juvenile fishes in room temperature now ..(resulting in 22-26 C ??).. in tanks with a lot of plants, a few leafs and roots. I use common "energy-saving" light bulbs (2x5w, 2800Kelvin to my 60x20x20cm tank).
I use a cup (2-3 dl) to add some water every day when feeding.. ( tapped tap-water(!!:)), 1-2 days old.. pH 7-7,5 kH 3...or sometimes aldercone water ). I guess the pH gets lower after a couple of weeks ..maybe 6-6,5 ??

I think they will do just fine in regular, non-polluted tank water.

My juveniles are 1-1,5 cm and yesterday I found their first fry at the surface.. hiding in the floating plants... so...now I have started yet another small tank!!:):):)
One can pick the eggs out or just let it be..and catch the fry when they pop up...
But..They might eat each other though..if size differ a lot!!

These species often have an egg-incubation(??)/developing period of 2-3 weeks..

If anyone here can visit Stockholm this weekend (April 26-27th).. the Scandinavian Killi Association will have an exhibition and ending it with an auction( at 16.00) on Sunday 27th !! (in the store ..Krukmakargatan 3).
Approx. 40-60 Killi species will participate/ be sold..??!!

The Swedish Guppy Society will also contribute with some species/breeding variants..

/Micke

Ekona

5 Year Member
Hi Ekona + all..

Unfortunately my Mbonge are still in the quarantine tank..pics will have to wait..

But I can show some other pics of African killie fishes..

Diapteron cyanostictum from Gabon (I think??), still juveniles..(1-1,5 cm)

/MickeM
Micke, very nice - a cool (pardon the pun) killi indeed. I have a couple of pics of one this species as well, which I'll try to post later. Thanks for sharing yours!

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Concerning Diapteron, they are found primarily in small streams and pools under heavy canopy. I've spoken to collectors who say the tree canopy is so thick that it's almost as dark as night, even at midday. Because there is no sunlight, the water tends to stay very cool. If you follow the same streams to the edge of the forest where they emerge into bright sun, the water temperature can be 8-10C warmer and you will find mostly Kathetys!

I've bred georgiae and fulgens at 18.5C by keeping them on a bottom shelf in my basement; had abacinum (only got one deformed fry from them). The thing to remember is darkness, not just the cool temperature. The only plant I was able to keep in such tanks was Java Moss, and this allowed the fry to grow up with the parents. Also, keep the pH extremely low - below 5.5 - if you want females. Most people in my region were getting lots of male fulgens, and when I donated a dozen of my excess females to the Milwaukee club auction, they sold for more than pairs!

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Figured I'd add a shot of Diapteron fulgens. Sorry about the poor quality, but he was at a show and in a bowl, and this is from a scanned slide. This was the daddy to the ones I bred.
Diapteron fulgens.jpg

MickeM

5 Year Member
Concerning Diapteron, they are found primarily in small streams and pools under heavy canopy. I've spoken to collectors who say the tree canopy is so thick that it's almost as dark as night, even at midday. Because there is no sunlight, the water tends to stay very cool. If you follow the same streams to the edge of the forest where they emerge into bright sun, the water temperature can be 8-10C warmer and you will find mostly Kathetys!

I've bred georgiae and fulgens at 18.5C by keeping them on a bottom shelf in my basement; had abacinum (only got one deformed fry from them). The thing to remember is darkness, not just the cool temperature. The only plant I was able to keep in such tanks was Java Moss, and this allowed the fry to grow up with the parents. Also, keep the pH extremely low - below 5.5 - if you want females. Most people in my region were getting lots of male fulgens, and when I donated a dozen of my excess females to the Milwaukee club auction, they sold for more than pairs!

I know what you mean about the gender issue... I have kept my D.cyanostictum for 3 generations now..
Got 9 males+1 female in the last generation I bred !! Thought I would be safe considering the future, when having 10 fry ...
I was a happy man when I at last spotted a female after approx. 2-3 months !!!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Ekona+all..

Better late than never.......

Chromaphyosemion volcanum "Mbonge"
(Not the best pics.., but it`s something..)

/Micke

Attachments

• 082.JPG
    082.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 704
  • 088.JPG
    088.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 690
  • 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 683
  • 116.JPG
    116.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 663
  • 133.JPG
    133.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 675
  • 134.JPG
    134.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 144.JPG
    144.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 659
  • 146.JPG
    146.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 651
  • 155.JPG
    155.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 671

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….