• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my new tank etc.

uberape

IMG_26992_zps5f0e52f0.jpg
IMG_27322_zpse703e088.jpg
IMG_29552_zps8c446d6a.jpg
IMG_29202_zps4fecae78.jpg

The tank is a walsted 'dirt tank' and I have cattalpa mulm floating about everywhere thanks to some corydoras. I say this to excuse its messyness, in my defence, the water quality is good.

The two apistogramma are 'wild' (i hope) cacatuoides which have been there a few days, they are still quite small and finding the male in the 5ft tank is like searching for legend.

I can only afford to properly light one side of the tank, usually the left side sits in darkness.

IMG_2675_zps8dcbb946.jpg

any questions about the dirt tank aspect or anything, ask away.

Looks good, you aren't worried about that over hang on te table? U could light it with a dual t8 shop light which is 4' long, and if you raised it a little the ends wouldn't be so dark

uberape

Looks good, you aren't worried about that over hang on te table? U could light it with a dual t8 shop light which is 4' long, and if you raised it a little the ends wouldn't be so dark

now I am... no im pretty certain there is no problem with the weight at the ends. the table is solid hard wood with short thick legs and it takes the pressure. I have a light that runs across the whole tank that I switch on when im in the room, the main light s for the plants- grasses and mosses. I couldnt afford to light the whole tank for these plants so I halved it, one side plants one side leaf litter. the 'dark side' still has some light that the camera doesn't pick up, sort of like darth vader in the first starwars film.

ChuckinMA

now I am... no im pretty certain there is no problem with the weight at the ends. the table is solid hard wood with short thick legs and it takes the pressure. .

Even if the table can handle the weight, it looks like there is no support under the two ends of the tanks. If it were my tank, I'd put a 3/4" piece of plywood, cut to the exact aquarium foot print, on top of the table. That would minimize the strain on the glass bottom.

It is a beautiful tank setup - lots of hiding spots for the Apisto 's (and their fry!)

uberape

so here's a three month update and yes the table is still holding. Everything works at a very manageable pace with a dirt substrate, the plants grow so far then seem to just relax but not die. I'm happy with it, no c02 no ferts, lights are under 2 watts per gallon. easy peasy. I do get alot of dirt in the water column every now and again, but i don't care and it doesn't affect the fish.
5df3c79f-455c-4876-8fea-5a5a8c7a2510_zpsd928c1a7.jpg

uberape

its 60/18/ 15 - length/width/height inches, so 70 gallons but the floorspace is good for 70g. my friend gave it to me from his office who wer'nt using it, score.

fart

5 Year Member
I really like long low aquariums. brilliant for apistogramma :)
your aquarium is inspiration for my new thank ( 43/20/16 inches )
not as long as yours but all i had room for this time.

uberape

yeah I was really lucky, it was a free tank randomly given. I dont think you can easily buy them with these dimensions. 43 and 20 is still a good size, actually i struggle to light the last 18". are you going planted?

fart

5 Year Member
Yes, I like planted tanks, and floating plants also. The biggest problem right now is to find nice three roots for the tank.
What are the floating plants in your tank? and the low plants in the foreground to the right?

uberape

the grass is Sagittaria subulata and the plant is hygrophilia corymbosa siamensis. they are both easy to grow with some kind of root nurishment. the floating plant is amazon frogbit. these are very much the easiest plants you can have. the mosses take a little extra care to establish and must have high light, or near surface as what i do. you can just beach crawl for root wood, although I would only select grey wood, so you know it is dead (it turns back to brown underwater). but to be safe i buy the larger pieces from local stores. I buy my cattalpa leaves off this lady who is selling nice root wood....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bushy-Tre...1457248341?pt=Decorations&hash=item3a8c051c55. dont know if you can use e-bay.

fart

5 Year Member
Thanks for the names of the plants you use in you tank.
I have bought lots of cattapa leaves of amy. Found some oak leaves (3 big bags) last autumn so now i mainly use them in my tanks.
Will look out for any grey wood when i am out next time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….