• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello All! newbie to this site

Chilly Willy

Hey everyone ...

I currently have a 150 gallon tank with no fish in it lol!
2 black fans Crush coral bottom 100 pounds of coral reef rock picked from the Bahamas,Grand Cayman , Puerto Rico & Mexico love my tank but don't know what fish to go with.
I had 20 African Cichlids but got rid of them due to their aggressive behavior
i tried putting two Bolivian rams in tank and i never seen them again ,the african cichlids chewed the two rams up
I stumbled upon this (abc Apsitogramma) fish and fell in love with its color and shape

QUESTIONS

Anyone know if the (abc Apsitogramma) fish can live in a crush coral bottom/coral reef rock water tank ??????
Anyone know a pet store in New York City Area (Manhattan) that carry these fish ????????

Hope to read back from u .......... peace love & sooooul train ........

Attachments

• CAM00389.jpg
    CAM00389.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 554
  • CAM00382.jpg
    CAM00382.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 552
  • CAM00392.jpg
    CAM00392.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 557

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining!
Seems like you might run into some water chemistry issues. But I'm not positive. I've not done what you're trying to do personally. Our veterans should be able to chime in and give you a better idea.

Chilly Willy

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining!
Seems like you might run into some water chemistry issues. But I'm not positive. I've not done what you're trying to do personally. Our veterans should be able to chime in and give you a better idea.

Thanks for having me .... Great site!! I'm all for some direction .....

regani

5 Year Member
I am not really a veteran of apisto keeping, but I'll offer an opinion

All the crushed coral and reef rock will create very hard water as traces of it slowly dissolve into the water.
Apistogramma are soft water fish and come from waters with very little dissolved minerals. This means that they will not do well in hard water, it will make them susceptible to disease and can also cause some direct health problems.
You'd be better off to stay away from apistos with a setup like that.

If you want to stick with the setup, do a little bit more research into the African lake cichlids, there are a few that are less aggressive and the right combination can make all the difference.
Some of the Central American cichlids could also be an option as they can tolerate the hard water but aggression may be a problem there as well, depending on the mix

gerald

5 Year Member
Nannacara anomala is probably the least fussy S.Amer dwarf I can think of, and usually does OK and will breed in hard water. Or consider small Tanganyikan cichlids (shell-dwelling Neolamprologus, Julidochromis, Chalinochromis, Tanganicodus) or the Cent. Amer Thorichthys, Sajica, or others (these are mid-size fish, not dwarfs. If you want soft-water Apistos, Checkerboards, Rams, or West Africans you really need to set up a different tank with non-carbonate substrate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….