• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Make a 5 Gallon Stock Options List

Ashenwelt

Hey all,

So I see lots of people asking about 5 gallon aquariums on many forums (myself included), and have personally been asked may times. So I decided to start compiling a list from people who do nano aquariums. Please note this is not a thread about the ethics of a 5 vs a 10. This is simply: these fish or invertebrates will work.

Now I have two apistogrammas listed that I have been told her will work. Are there any others? Or any other you would like to add to the list?

I would love to append more fish, and also a collection of plants that are recommended. The fish here have been qualified with a bunch of people over the last few years, or a lot of effort I have over on fishlore. I would love to get some additional feedback here, since there is usually a different viewpoint here.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. It’s not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Fish:
  • Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
  • Dwarf Mosquitofish / Heterandria formosay
  • Guppy
  • Fancy Guppy
  • Betta
  • Licorice Gourami
  • Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
  • Ember Tetras (debated)
  • Scarlet Badis
  • Celestial Pearl Danios
  • Chili rasboras
  • Dwarf Rasbora / Boraras maculatus
  • Mosquito Rasbora / Boraras brigittae
  • Some types of Killifish
  • Dwarf Puffer
  • Asian Stone Catfish
  • Smallest Gobbies
  • Lamprologus Ocellatus; (use caution and watch for aggression)
  • Neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis; (use caution and watch for aggression)
  • Apistogramma wapisana; (use caution and watch for aggression)
  • Apistogramma borellii; (use caution and watch for aggression)
Invertebrates:
  • Cherry Shrimp (all varieties)
  • Crystal Shrimp (all varieties)
  • Ghost Shrimp
  • Amano Shrimp
  • Spiki Snail
  • Pond Snail (beware)
  • Nerite Snail
And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc.

Ashenwelt

A. angayuara, a species which, as far as I know, has never been imported and possibly extinct because its biotope was buried under a dam.

Dude that sucks. I think I will leave that one off the list. Lets give any surviving he best chance possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….